Walk of Champions
A vital capital campaign for facility improvements is at the heart of the Dare to Be Great strategic plan to move UCSB Athletics forward. Individual projects are tied together in a conceptual plan titled the Walk of Champions, where facility needs are addressed from Harder Stadium all the way to the Thunderdome, anchored by a breathtaking new athletics aquatics center.
Gifts to the Walk of Champions capital campaign are used to build and enhance student-athlete, campus, and community comfort, safety, and entertainment. Fundraising for the Walk of Champions Phase I is currently in progress, with construction beginning on several projects. Phase I features five project components:
- Meredith Field at Harder Stadium - New scoreboard with video capabilities for soccer and campus use, new turf and irrigation system, new gated entrance with historical tribute to venue, press box upgrades, enhanced concessions areas.
- Athletics Aquatics Center - New 65-meter pool and amenities located near intercollegiate athletics and recreation fields. Read more here.
- Caesar Uyseska Stadium - Lights and field renovations at the baseball venue.
- The Thunderdome - Men's and women's basketball individual locker-room renovations
- Suite Opportunities - Administrative and coaching offices naming opportunities within the ICA Building.
UCSB Athletics has proudly hired Blackbird Architects for the conceptual design of the aquatics facility as well as design work on other Walk of Champions projects. The Santa Barbara-based firm is led by founder and former Gaucho swimmer Ken Radtkey. To read more about Blackbird's role, please click here.
The Walk of Champions Phase II may include: Renovations to Pauley Track, the relocation of softball and lacrosse fields, sand volleyball, outdoor courts, the creation of Gaucho Park for baseball and softball, new tennis courts, enhancements to Harder Stadium and the Thunderdome, and a tribute to athletics, recreation, and campus achievements along the walkway from Harder Stadium and the Recreation Center intersecting at the promenade behind Robertson Gym and the planned athletics aquatics facility.
For more information or to contribute to UCSB Athletics' Walk of Champions Capital Campaign Phase I, please contact:
Associate Athletics Director