UCSB Blows Past Nevada, 6-1
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - UC Santa Barbara downed visiting Nevada by a 6-1 score in an exciting match at the Recreation Center Courts on Sunday afternoon.
The opening doubles point was a real nail-biter. After securing an 8-6 win at the #2 position the Gauchos needed to break serve on both courts #1 and #3 with Nevada serving for the match to level at eight games apiece. With both courts playing tie-breakers simultaneously, the Gauchos ended up saving match point on court #1 before winning.
UCSB dropped the #3 match.
"We've worked very hard to improve in doubles," said UCSB head coach Marty Davis. "Today was a payoff of that."
Greg Scott, Benjamin Recknagel and Ziad Sultan carried the momentum into their singles matches and swept through with straight set wins to secure the home win for the Gauchos, lifting our record to 8-6 on the season. The other singles matches were real battles. Mathieu Forget defeated #87 Wessim Derbel on center court 12-10 in a match tie-break for his second win over a nationally ranked player this season. Mbonisi Ndimande also was a deserving winner at the #3 position pulling through a tight third set match tie-break 10-7. (complete results below)
The UCSB men will be back on court with a chance to upset #23 Texas Tech at home this Thursday at 1:30pm.
#65 UCSB 6 - Nevada 1
1. Mathieu Forget/Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) def. Derbel/Sunago 9-8
2. Axel Bouilin/Alex Johnson (UCSB) def. Reix/Chargui 8-6
3. Ouvrard/Mege def. Sultan/Gryaznov (UCSB) Nevada 9-8
1. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Wessim Derbel 7-6,5-7 (12-10)
2. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Victor Ouvrard 6-2,6-2
3. Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) def. Moez Chargui 5-7,6-4 (10-7)
4. Greg Scott (UCSB) def. Quentin Mege 6-1,6-0
5. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. Fernando Sunago 6-4,6-0
6. Jordan Rozenfield def. Axel Bouillin (UCSB) 6-2,0-6, 7-5
Order of finish: Singles (2,6,5,3,4,1)
SEASON RECORD: 8-6
BIG WEST RECORD: 2-1
Thursday, March 15 vs. #23 Texas Tech, Rec Cen Courts, 1:30pm
Thursday, March 29 vs. UC San Diego, Rec Cen Courts, 1pm
Saturday, March 31 vs. #55 Denver, Rec Cen courts, 1pm
Sunday, April 1 vs. Pacific, Rec Cen courts, 1pm