SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Despite claiming the doubles point, the Gauchos were unable to complete their upset bid at No. 37 Santa Clara on Monday and were swept in singles, dropping their match 6-1.
After their disappointing collapse in doubles on Saturday at San Francisco, the Gauchos came back strong and dominated in doubles at Santa Clara's Degheri Tennis Center. UCSB duo Axel Bouillin and Sasha Gryaznov were victorious at court 2 with an 8-4 decision over SCU's Muchynski and Lamble. The Gauchos also received a win at court 3, where Andrew Riminton and Miles Seemann paired up for the first time as doubles partners to defeat Khacharyan and Pham, 8-5. Play at court 1 was suspended after the Gauchos clinched the doubles point.
UCSB had a harder time with singles, where they were swept by the Bronco squad all in straight sets. Benjamin Recknagel faced off against nationally ranked John Lamble in a difficult match at court 1, where he lost 6-2, 6-3. The Gauchos also saw strong efforts from Sophomore Axel Bouillin and Freshman Jacob Johnson at courts 3 and 6. Bouillin was able to win six games against USC transfer Matt Kecki, though dropping his match 6-3, 6-3 and Johnson lost 6-1, 6-4, keeping it close in the second set.
The Gauchos record is now 2-3 on the season. UCSB will again head on the road, traveling out east to New York and New Jersey, where they will face No. 71 St. John's and No. 64 Princeton on March 2 and 3, respectively.
1. Ndimande/Sultan (UCSB) vs. Osintsev/Kecki (SCU) 7-4, Unfinished
2. Bouillin/Gryaznov (UCSB) def. Muchynski/Lamble (SCU) 8-4
3. Riminton/Seemann (UCSB) def. Khacharyan/Pham (SCU) 8-5
1. #69 John Lamble (SCU) def. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 6-2, 6-3
2. Ilya Osintsev (SCU) def. Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) 6-2, 6-1
3. Matt Kecki (SCU) def. Axel Bouillin (UCSB) 6-3, 6-3
4. Tom Pham (SCU) def. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) 6-2, 6-2
5. Ashot Khacharyan (SCU) def. Sasha Gryaznov (UCSB) 6-3, 6-2
6. Eugene Muchynski (SCU) def. Jacob Johnson (UCSB) 6-1, 6-4
UCSB SEASON RECORD: 2-3; 0-0 BIG WEST