SAN DIEGO, Calif. – UC Santa Barbara men's tennis fell just short in their bid to upset No. 35-ranked University of San Diego (5-2) on Saturday, losing in a narrow 4-3 decision. Up 3-2 in the match, the Gauchos looked to be on their way to another victory but the Toreros battled back to take the final two matches in three sets and win the match 4-3.
After losing the doubles point, the Gauchos came out strong and focused for the singles competition. Sophomore Teague Hamilton put the Gauchos on the board with a victory at the No. 6 court, defeating Ciaran Fitzgerald 6-4, 6-3 to tie up the match at 1-1.
The Toreros took back the lead at the No. 2 court, where #70 Filip Vittek snapped Morgan Mays' three match win streak after coming back from a set down to beat the Gaucho sophomore 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.
UCSB answered with victories at the No. 1 and No. 4 positions to put the Gauchos within one of clinching the match at 3-2. Gaucho senior Tobias Galskov returned to the No. 1 position and took down USD's #53 Uros Petronijevic in three sets, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2 while junior Nathan Eshmade won against Romain Kalaydjian 7-6, 7-5 at the No. 4 court.
The match came down to the matches at the No. 3 and No. 5 courts. At the No. 3 court, freshman Cody Rakela won the first set but was eventually downed by USD's Jordan Angus, who won the second set in the tiebreak and took the decisive third set 6-4. Angus' 2-6, 7-6, 6-4 victory tied up the match at 3-3.
With the match on the line, junior Andrew Riminton battled back from a set down to tie his match at a set apiece at the No. 5 court but his opponent, Geoffrey Fosso, clinched the match and the victory for his team with a 6-1 win in the third set.
"We came out strong in the singles matches, we were up on a lot of courts" said sophomore Erik Johnsson. "Overall it was really close, we almost had it."
The Gauchos will continue their road trip tomorrow when they take on Big West rivals, UC Irvine. The Anteaters are coming into the match having lost their last four matches, including a sweep at the hands of No. 1 USC today.
UC Santa Barbara will look to bounce back tomorrow at the Newport Beach Tennis Club, beginning at 12 pm.
No. 35 USD 4, UCSB 3
February 7, 2015
Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center (San Diego, Calif.)
1. Jordan Angus/Filip Vittek (USD) def. Tobias Galskov/Erik Johnsson (UCSB) 6-3
2. Romain Kalaydjian/Uros Petronijevic (USD) def. Nathan Eshmade/Chase Masciorini (UCSB) 6-2
3. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Geoffrey Fosso (USD) vs. Morgan Mays/Andrew Riminton (UCSB) 4-4 unfinished
1. Tobias Galskov (UCSB) def. #53 Uros Petronijevic (USD) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. #70 Filip Vittek (USD) def. Morgan Mays (UCSB) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Jordan Angus (USD) def. Cody Rakela (UCSB) 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
4. Nathan Eshmade (UCSB) def. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
5. Geoffrey Fosso (USD) def. Andrew Riminton (UCSB) 6-2, 6-7 (7-3), 6-1
6. Teague Hamilton (UCSB) def. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) 6-4, 6-3
UCSB Season Record: Overall (2-3); Big West (0-0)