BOISE, Idaho - After dropping the doubles point and the first completed singles match to fall behind 2-0, the No. 66 UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team stormed back to win the remaining singles matches en route to a 5-2 win at Boise State on Saturday.
Playing in the No. 6 spot in the lineup, Teague Hamilton gave the Gauchos (7-7) their first point of the match with a 6-3, 6-4 sweep of BSU's Abe Hewko. The next match off the court was at No. 4 where Cody Rakela roared back after he was blanked in the first set, 0-6, 6-3, 6-1, tying the score at 2-2.
UCSB took a 3-2 lead when Erik Johnsson swept past Lewis Roskilly at No. 5, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4. Nathan Eshmade's 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 victory over Thomas Tenreiro in the No. 2 slot gave the Gauchos a 4-2 lead and clinched the victory. At No. 3, Morgan Mays put the icing on the cake with a 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4 win over Toby Mitchell.
"This was easily our best road win of the season and it came over a team that roughed us up last season," said head coach Marty Davis. "And to do it without our No. 1 singles player (Tobias Galskov) and coming back from 0-2 was really special."
Galskov played doubles, but did not compete in singles.
The win over the Bronocos gives Santa Barbara four victories in its last five matches, including two out of three on a three-match road trip that also included stops at Northern Colorado and the University of Denver. The Gauchos return home on Wednesady, April 1 to host Hawai'i in a non-conference match that will begin at 2:00 p.m. on the Recreation Center Courts.
"I'm hoping we can carry this momentum into our conference match with Hawai'i on Wednesday," Davis said.
Tennis Match Results
UC Santa Barbara vs Boise State
Mar 28, 2015 at Boise, Idaho
(Appleton Tennis Center)
UC Santa Barbara 5, Boise State 2
1. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) 6-4, 6-1
2. Nathan Eshmade (UCSB) def. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
3. Morgan Mays (UCSB) def. Toby Mitchell (BSU) 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
4. Cody Rakela (UCSB) def. Brian Foley (BSU) 0-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Erik Johnsson (UCSB) def. Lewis Roskilly (BSU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
6. Teague Hamilton (UCSB) def. Abe Hewko (BSU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Thomas Tenreiro/Lewis Roskilly (BSU) def. Tobias Galskov/Ziad Sultan (UCSB) 6-4
2. Abe Hewko/Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Nathan Eshmade/Erik Johnsson (UCSB) 6-3
3. Morgan Mays/Andrew Riminton (UCSB) def. Brian Foley/Toby Mitchell (BSU) 6-3
UC Santa Barbara 7-7
Boise State 6-13
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,6,4,5,2,3)
Match was bumped one hour later because of weather from an 11 a.m. (MT) start to a noon start.