TUSCON, Ariz. – The No. 48 UCSB Men's Tennis Team added its fourth straight dual match win Monday afternoon to improve to 5-3 on the season. Playing on the road in Arizona, the Gauchos downed the No. 69 Wildcats by a score of 6-1.
"Beating a second Pac-12 team on the year is great for our team," Captain Morgan Mays said. "We feel like we're playing really great tennis right now and we're excited to carry that confidence and momentum into the rest of the season."
Santa Barbara took an early lead as they again won the doubles point to kick off the match. The No. 44 duo of Nathan Eshmade and Miles Seemann took their third straight win on court won as they defeated Trent Botha and Oliver Plasket 6-1. The Gauchos closed out the first point with a win on two as Nicolas Moreno de Alboran and Chase Masciorini took a 6-4 win over Wildcats Will Adkisson and Jason Jaruvang.
With a 1-0 lead the Gauchos nearly swept the match winning five of the six singles competitions, including wins on the top three courts.
Mays was the first to get off the courts as he took a straight set win to give him his third straight on court three. The junior captain defeated Botha of the Wildcats 6-3, 6-2 to put his team up 2-0.
"I've definitely been playing well lately and so have the rest of the guys," Mays said. "We all have really filled our roles and we've had great success to this point."
Despite trailing 2-0, Arizona added its first and only point of the day with a win on court 4.
No. 83 Nicolas Moreno de Alboran added his 5th straight singles win with a tiebreak win on court two. The freshman dropped his first set with Jaruvang but won two straight in extra games to finish 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(3).
The Gauchos will have one more match on the road next weekend at San Diego State, before heading back for their home opener with Pacific.
No. 48 UC Santa Barbara 6, No. 69 Arizona 1
1. No. 44 Nathan Eshmade/Miles Seeman (UCSB) def. Trent Botha/Oliver Plaskett (ARIZ) 6-1
2. Nicolas Moreno de Alboran/Chase Masciorini (UCSB) def. Will Adkisson/Jason Jaruvang (ARIZ) 6-4
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Nathan Eshmade (UCSB) def. Harry Busby (ARIZ) 7-5, 6-3
2. No. 83 Nicolas Moreno de Alboran (UCSB) def. Jason Jaruvang (ARIZ) 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(3)
3. Morgan Mays (UCSB) def. Trent Botha (ARIZ) 6-3, 6-2
4. Will Kneale (ARIZ) def. Oliver Sec (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
5. Cody Rakela (UCSB) def. Oliver Plaskett (ARIZ) 6-4, 7-5
6. Anders Holm (UCSB) def. Shoki Kasahara (ARIZ) 7-5, 7-6(2)
Order of Finish: 3,4,1,5,6,2