RIVERSIDE, Calif.- Sunday afternoon the No. 47 UCSB Men's Tennis team added its fourth straight win after sweeping UC Riverside on the road 7-0. The Gauchos improve their overall record to 13-6 and are an undefeated 3-0 in conference play. In the its three conference matchups, Santa Barbara has only forfeited one point winning all doubles rounds and a dominant 20 singles matchups.
The match started with singles play due to weather issues and the Gauchos played with perfection on every court winning all six in sweeping fashion.
Sophomore Cody Rakela had the most convincing win of the day on court five, defeating Calvin Ngo 6-1, 6-1. Rakela has now won eight straight matches playing in singles play. He joined the doubles lineup for the first time as well Sunday afternoon, playing alongside senior Miles Seemann on court three and taking a tight 7-6 win.
Junior co-captain Teague Hamilton added his eighth straight win as well in singles play and remains undefeated in dual match play. Hamilton downed Anderson Ju in identical sets of 6-3, 6-3.
After taking a 6-0 win, the two Big West teams faced off in doubles play where the Gauchos won all three matches. Freshmen Nicolas Moreno de Alboran and Anders Holm played on court one for the first time and the duo grabbed a 6-3 win over Sean Yun and Sean Robles.
The Gauchos will now return home for what could be the team's biggest match of the season with the conference's next highest-ranking team, No. 67 UC Davis. The Aggies will come to Santa Barbara boasting a league best overall record of 15-3 and are an undefeated 2-0 in conference. Davis will put up its 12-match win streak against the Gauchos.
Make sure to join us at the Rec Cen Courts at 2pm for the last home match of the season.
No. 47 UC Santa Barbara 7, UC Riverside 0
1. Nathan Eshmade (UCSB) def. Julian Ruffin (UCR) 6-3, 6-0
2. Nicolas Moreno de Alboran (UCSB) def. Sean Yun (UCR) 6-3, 6-2
3. Morgan Mays (UCSB) def. Kyle McCann (UCR) 6-4, 7-6
4. Anders Holm (UCSB) def. Sean Robles (UCR) 6-2, 6-2
5. Cody Rakela (UCSB) def. Calvin Ngo (UCR) 6-1, 6-1
6. Teague Hamilton (UCSB) def. Anderson Ju (UCR) 6-3, 6-3
1. Moreno/Holm (UCSB) def. Sean Yun/Sean Robles (UCR) 6-3
2. Mays/Riminton (UCSB) def. Julian Ruffin/Jack Felich (UCR) 6-2
3. Rakela/Seemann (UCSB) def. Hans Baumstark/Kyle McCann (UCR) 7-6
UC Santa Barbara 13-6, 3-0
UC Riverside 12-13, 1-4