LOS ANGELES, Calif.- An amazing season for the No. 44 UCSB Men's Tennis team came to a close on Friday in the first round of the NCAA Championship, as the Gauchos were downed 4-1 by No. 32 Georgia Tech.
Santa Barbara finished the 2015-2016 season with a 17-7 record, going undefeated in conference play, and winning its second straight Big West Championship.
The Gauchos got out to a slow start in doubles play with all three courts falling behind 2-1, but were quick to respond as all three Santa Barbara teams regained 3-2 leads. From there the nation's No. 78 doubles team of seniors Miles Seemann and Nathan Eshmade would not hesitate winning out and defeating No. 38 Casey Kay and Michael Kay 6-2.
The Yellow Jackets answered with a win on court two as No. 37 Christopher Eubanks and Carlos Benito just edged the freshman squad of Nicolas Moreno de Alboran and Anders Holm 6-4. The decider would come down to a close match on court three as the Gauchos and Jackets were tied 5-5.
In singles play the Yellow Jackets boasted two more ranked players and showed their depth winning key matches on the lower courts. The Gauchos fell flat in the round despite winning four first-sets and Georgia Tech moved on to the next round with four straight singles wins.
No. 7 Christopher Eubanks, the ACC Player of the Year, was the first off the court with a 6-2, 6-3 win on court one. Michael Kay gave Georgia Tech its first led of the match with a 6-3, 7-5 win on court six.
The Yellow Jackets closed out the match with wins on courts four and five with Daniel Yun and Nathan Rakitt, respectively.
Mays found himself up on court three over Cole Fiegel when the match was finished and Moreno de Alboran was in a third set decider on two with No. 113 Carlos Benito.
Seniors Seemann, Eshmade, and Riminton ended their Gaucho careers with all three players winning doubles matches for the last time.
The Gauchos look to an exciting off-season with their new recruiting class.
NCAA Regionals Match Results
Friday, May 13th 2016
No. 32 Georgia Tech 4 – No. 44 UC Santa Barbara 1
1) No. 78 Nathan Eshmade/Miles Seemann (UCSB) def. No. 38 Casey Kay/Michael Kay (GT) 6-2
2) No. 37 Christopher Eubanks/Carlos Benito (GT) def. Anders Holm/Nicolas Moreno de Alboran (UCSB) 6-4
3) Morgan Mays/Andrew Riminton (UCSB) def. Nathan Rakitt/Andrew Li (GT) 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1) No. 7 Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. Nathan Eshmade (UCSB) 6-2, 6-3
2) No. 113 Carlos Benito (GT) vs. Nicolas Moreno de Alboran (UCSB) 0-6, 6-3, 5-3 unfi.
3) Morgan Mays (UCSB) vs. Cole Fiegel (GT) 7-6 (7-5), 2-4 unfi.
4) Daniel Yun (GT) def. Anders Holm (UCSB) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
5) Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Cody Rakela (UCSB) 6-4, 6-4
6) Michael Kay def. Teague Hamilton (UCSB) 6-3, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 5, 4