LOS ANGELES - The Gauchos fell 5-2 Saturday afternoon against No. 7 UCLA. Despite a strong outing early on winning two out of three doubles, UCLA propelled it's way to victory taking five out of six singles matches and handing UCSB it's first loss of the season.
Santa Barbara finishes its first month of regular season play with a 2-1 record. While this serves as a tough loss, Head Coach Marty Davis feels there are some positives to take out of Saturday's matchup.
"Not the result that we wanted, but I'm proud of our guys for how well they competed and giving themselves a chance," said Davis. "Playing a nationally ranked team is never an easy task but [we] played with a lot of energy today and we can carry this heading into season."
UCLA came out swinging in its first two single matches. Austin Rapp swept Anders Holm 6-1 and 6-3 respectively while No. 90 singles-ranked Giulio took both sets between Chase Masciorini with a score of 6-2 and 6-3.
Freund responded with a win of his own edging out Zhu with a 6-4, 7-5 victory. Despite a run that put them back in contention, UCLA's Logan Staggs defeated Cody Rakela 6-3, 7-6 swinging the momentum back in favor of the Bruins.
Gage Brymer and Martin Redlicki then closed out singles play for the Bruins winning two out of three sets against Moreno and Mays.
"It was a good feeling for our team knowing we were so close to taking down one of the best teams in the country," said Freund. "It gives us a lot of confidence going forward in the season and makes us hungrier to reach our goal of finishing top 20 in the country."
Next up for Santa Barbara is a road match against University of Pacific on February 11th at 1 p.m.
UCLA 5, UCSB 2
Sunset Canyon Recreation Center- Los Angeles, CA
Jan 21, 2017
1. Freund/Mays (UCSB) def. Redlicki/Zhu (UCLA) 6-3
2. Moreno de Alboran/Holm (UCSB) def. Di Giulio/Rapp (UCLA) 7-5
3. Brymer/Staggs (UCLA) vs. Masciorini/Kristian Prior (UCSB) 5-5, unfinished
1. #11 Gage Brymer (UCLA) def. N .Moreno de Alboran (UCSB) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Martin Redlicki (UCLA) def. #96 Morgan Mays (UCSB) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
3. Simon Freund (UCSB) def. Evan Zhu (UCLA) 6-4, 7-5
4. #90 Joseph Di Giulio (UCLA) def. Chase Masciorini (UCSB) 6-2, 6-3
5. Logan Staggs (UCLA) def. Cody Rakela (UCSB) 6-3, 7-6
6. Austin Rapp (UCLA) def. Anders Holm (UCSB) 6-1, 6-3
UC Santa Barbara (2-1), UCLA (2-0)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,4,3,5,1,2)