MORAGA, Calif.- The No. 49 Santa Barbara men's tennis team locked in their sixth straight win of the season Sunday afternoon rolling past Saint Mary's (6-14) with a final score of 7-0.
Taking the first two doubles matches for the 1-0 score, UCSB carried the match's momentum throughout sweeping all six single courts for the victory.
Starting out on court 3, Simon Freund outed Matthew Campana 6-1, 6-2 to give UCSB a 2-0 lead. Morgan Mays battled through his match splitting the first two sets with opponent Nash Vollenweider 6-2, 3-6, to take the final set for a 6-4 win.
With all the Gauchos winning their respective matches on courts 6, 5, and 1 No. 4 Anders Holm finished the day against the Gael's Manuel Lemalas. Bouncing back from a second set deficit, 2-6, Holm clawed his way past Lemalas taking the final tie-break, 7-6, to secure the victory for Santa Barbara.
The Gauchos wrap up their two-game road affair Monday traveling up north to face conference contender UC Davis. The Aggies, 11-6 overall and 2-0 in Big West play, are fresh off a 6-1 win against Hawaii April 3rd.
No. 49 Santa Barbara 7, Saint Mary's 0
April 10, 2017
Timothy Korth Tennis Complex
2. Morgan Mays/Nicolas Moreno (UCSB) def. Matthew Campana/Calvin Jordaan (SMC) 6-3
Order of finish: (2, 1, unfinished)
1. Nicolas Moreno (UCSB) def. Damon Kesaris (SMC) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
2. Morgan Mays (UCSB) def. Nash Vollenweider (SMC) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
3. Simon Freund (UCSB) def. Matthew Campana (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Anders Holm (UCSB) def. Manuel Lamelas (SMC) 6-4, 2-6, 7-6
5. Cody Rakela (UCSB) def. Jacob Lagman (SMC) 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
6. Chase Masciorini (UCSB) def. Daniel Krtuik (SMC) 6-3, 6-3
Order finish: (3, 2, 6, 5, 1, 4)