UCSB Falls to No. 41 Hawaii
Each of the Gauchos' doubles teams remained undefeated. Junior Alex Konigsfeldt and Senior Josh Finkelstein began with a win against Hawaii's Dennis Lojola and Jeremy Tweedt, 8-3. UCSB's Evan Jurgensen and Scott Hohenstein overcame Andreas Weber and Phillip Eberhand 8-5. Freshmen Benjamin Recknagel and Lucas Sudow continued to win together, defeating Leo Rosenberg and Daniel Llarenas 8-4.
After sweeping the doubles matches, the Gauchos fell short in singles. Alex Konigsfeldt, Josh Finkelstein, Mathieu Forget, and Benjamin Recknagel were all defeated by their Hawaii opponents in two sets. Taylor Chavez Goggin put up a fight against Hawaii's Phillip Eberhard, winning the second set of their match to tie up the game. In the third set, however, Chavez Goggin was defeated with a final score of 10-8.
"We dominated in doubles," said UCSB head coach Marty Davis. "It really came down to the No. 3, 4, and 5 singles matches, which were all close. We had many chances to win those matches. It was a little disappointing."
Freshman Lucas Sudow was the only Gaucho to come away with a win in singles with his defeat of Dymitri Kovalyov, 6-2, 6-0.
The Gauchos will continue their season on January 23 as they play defending national champion, USC, in Los Angeles.
Hawaii 5, UCSB 2
1. Dennis Lojola def. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-1, 6-2
2. Andreas Weber def. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) 6-3, 6-1
3. Jeremy Tweedt def. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) 7-5, 6-4
4. Leo Rosenberg def. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 6-4, 7-5
5. Phillip Eberhard def. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) 6-4, 3-6, (10-8)
6. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) def. Dymitri Kovalyov 6-2 ,6-0