Gauchos Fall to No. 28 South Florida in Back Draw at NCAA National Team Indoor Tournament
Feb. 1, 2009
Austin, TEXAS - In the second day of the NCAA National Team Indoor tournament, the UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision Sunday to No. 28 Florida State.
The Gauchos held strong in doubles play, stealing two of three matches and taking a quick 1-0 lead. The duo of Philip Therp and Josh Finkelstein gave the Gauchos an early edge in the doubles point, knocking off USF's Lucas Jovita and Thomas Estrada, 8-3. After UCSB's No. 3 doubles team fell in their match, Josh Finkelstein and Alex Konigsfeldt answered back with an 8-5 win over Wael Kilani and Romain DeRidder.
"We're making progress in our doubles play," head coach Marty Davis said. "We just have to keep our heads up after a tough loss like this one."
The lead would not last long for the Gauchos faltered again in singles action. Josh Finkelstein was the sole victor for UCSB, coming away with a 6-7, 7-6, (13-11) victory over Yannick Yoshizawa. Finkelstein replaced Nick Caledonia at the No. 6 slot to take his first singles win of the year.
The Bulls were led by Lucas Jovita who overpowered Therp at the No. 1 position, 6-2, 6-4. Konigsfeldt and senior Max Taylor also dropped their matches at the No. 2 and No. 3 slots, respectively. South Florida sealed the win after Jamal Adderley took down Scott Hohenstein, 7-5, 6-3.
"At this point, we need to keep focusing on the process rather than the results," coach Davis concluded.
With the loss, the Gauchos fall to 0-3 on the season. They will pick up play on Friday when they travel to Eugene to take on the University of Oregon. The match is set to kick-off at 5:30 p.m.
1. Therp/Hohenstein def. Jovita/ Estrada (USF) def. 8-3
2. Finkelstein/Konigsfeldt def. Kilani/DeRidder (USF) - 8-5
3. Yoshizawa/Hamed (USF) def. Caledonia/Chavez Goggin - 8-5
1 Lucas Jovita (USF) def. Philip Therp 6-2, 6-4
2. Mahmoud Hamed (USF) def. Alex Konigsfeldt - 6-2, 6-1
3. Wael Kilani (USF) def. Max Taylor - 6-0, 6-1
4. Jamal Adderley (USF) def. Scott Hohenstein - 7-5, 6-3
5. Thomas Estrada def. Chavez Goggin 4-6, 6-3, (10-2)
6. Josh Finkelstein def. Yannick Yoshizawa (USF) - 6-7, 7-6, (13-11)