Feb. 13, 2010
Riverside, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team started their Big West Conference play today against UC Riverside. The Gauchos won the doubles point and defeated Riverside in all but one singles match. UCSB is now 3-3 for the season and is now ranked No. 70 nationally.
"It was a pretty comfortable win for us," said coach Marty Davis. "This was a good warm up to get us ready for our match against Irvine tomorrow."
In No. 1 Doubles, UCSB's Alex Konigsfeldt and Taylor Chavez Goggin beat Quoc Doan and Felix Macherez 8-5. Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen also won in No. 3 Doubles, defeating UCR's Michael Conroy and Freddy Quintos 8-2. Their win makes them tied for most doubles victories this season alongside Lucas Sudow and Benjamin Recknagel, who lost their match to Austin Andres and John Park 8-6.
Alex Konigsfeldt also tallied another win in No. 1 Singles as he defeated John Park 6-4, 6-2. Taylor Chavez Goggin overcame Austin Andres in No. 3 Singles by a score of 6-3 in both sets. Freshman Lucas Sudow remains undefeated in singles, beating UCR's Freddy Quintos, 6-2, 6-3. He is now 5-0 for the season. Sudow's doubles partner Benjamin Recknagel also marked a win against UCR, defeating Sean Peterson 6-1, 6-1.
Junior Philip Therp competed in his first singles match since last season when he was sidelined with various injuries. Therp lost to UCR's Quoc Doan in two sets, 6-2, 6-2.
Freshman Max Glenn made his UCSB debut as he competed in No. 6 Singles. Glenn defeated UCR's Ryan Stanbury in a close match 6-1, 7-6.
The Gauchos will play at UC Irvine tomorrow at noon.
UC Santa Barbara 6, UC Riverside 1
1. Konigsfeldt/Chavez Goggin (UCSB) def. Doan/Macherez (UCR) 8-5
2. Andres/Park (UCR) def. Sudow/Recknagel (UCSB) 8-6
3. Hohenstein/Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Conroy/Quintos (UCR) 8-2
1. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. John Park (UCR) 6-4, 6-2
2. Quoc Doan (UCR) def. Philip Therp (UCSB) 6-2, 6-2
3. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) def. Austin Andres (UCR) 6-3, 6-3
4. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) def. Freddy Quintos (UCR) 6-2, 6-3
5. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Sean Peterson (UCR) 6-1, 6-1
6. Max Glenn (UCSB) def. Ryan Stanbury (UCR) 6-1, 7-6