No. 58 Gauchos Roll Over UC Davis, 5-2
Feb. 14, 2009
Davis, Calif. - The No. 58 UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team swept the doubles point and grabbed four of six singles matches to top UC Davis, 5-8, at the Marya Welch Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
"I thought our doubles play was much improved this week," coach Marty Davis said. "But the results were still dangerously close."
The Gauchos managed to sweep the doubles point despite a close calls at the No1 and No. 2 slots. The duo of Alex Konigsfeldt and Josh Finkelstein got to see their first action at the No. 1 slot and downed Nic Amaroli and Michael Reiser, 8-6. Sophomore Evan Jurgensen stepped into the No. 1 slot to defeat took the court with Scott Hohenstein to capture an 8-6 victory over Hunter Lee and Nick Lopez.
In singles, the Gauchos expanded their lead with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. Konigsfeldt stepped in the No. 1 slot to defeat Mike Reiser, 6-2, 6-1 while Josh Finkelstein rolled over Hunter Lee with the same score.
The Aggies crept back into the match with wins at the No. 2 and No. 6 slots. First, Max Taylor dropped his match to Lopez, 6-2, 6-3 and Caledonia lost his match to Nic Amaroli, 6-1, 6-3.
However, the Gauchos kept their foot on the pedal and took the last two matches to post a 5-2 stomping on UC Davis and register their first Big West conference victory of the season. With the win, the UCSB men improve to 4-2 on the season (1-1 in Big West play).
"It is definitely a good start to our three match road trip," coach Davis said. "I'm just glad we got out of town with a win."
On court four, Taylor Chavez Goggin clinched the match for the Gauchos squeaking past Taylor Lee in the first set 7-6 and then finishing perfect in the second set, 6-0.
"Goggin's match was another close call, but he shook off some nerves in the first set and turned it around in the second," coach Davis explained. "It was good to see him make some progress and pick up another win."
The Gauchos travel to Berkeley to face No. 24 Cal tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.
1. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB) d. Michael Reiser (UCD), 6-2, 6-2.
2. Nick Lopez (UCD) d. Max Taylor (UCSB), 6-3, 6-2.
3. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) d. Hunter Lee (UCD), 6-2, 6-1.
4. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) d. Tyler Lee (UCD), 7-6, 6-0.
5. Devin Nerenberg (UCSB) d. Kevin Liang (UCD), 5-7, 6-0, 1-0 (10-8).
6. Nic Amaroli (UCD) d. Nick Caledonia (UCSB), 6-1, 6-3.
1. Finkelstein/Konigsfeldt (UCSB) d. Amaroli/Reiser (UCD), 8-6.
2. Scott Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) d. H. Lee/Lopez (UCD), 8-6.
3. Caledonia/Goggin (UCSB) d. Josh Albert /T. Lee (UCD), 8-4.