Feb. 20, 2010
San Diego, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team fell to 3-5 for the season after their loss to San Diego 5-2. The Gauchos swept in doubles, but San Diego battled back to win five of the six singles matches.
Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen, as well as partners Lucas Sudow and Benjamin Recknagel, won their doubles matches 8-3. In No. 1 Doubles, Alex Konigsfeldt and Taylor Chavez Goggin defeated San Diego's Dean Jackson and Nils Schive 5-5 (ret.). The San Diego duo retired since the Gauchos had already won in No. 2 and 3 doubles, clinching the doubles point.
Despite winning the first set in four singles matches, the Gauchos only came away with one win. Alex Konigsfeldt lost a close match to San Diego's Nikola Bubnic in No. 2 Singles, 7-5, 7-5. Konigsfeldt had two match points in the second set, but was not able to convert them.
Scott Hohenstein and Lucas Sudow began their matches with a 4-6 win, but then fell to their San Diego opponents in the second and third sets. This was Sudow's first loss in singles this season. Taylor Chavez Goggin also lost his match in three sets to Nils Schive 3-6, 7-6, 7-6.
Freshman Benjamin Recknagel was the only Gaucho to pick up a singles win, beating Abdullah Hashem in three sets, 6-1, 6-7, 7-5. Recknagel is now 5-3 in singles this season, which ties him for second most singles wins on the team.
"This is our second tough loss in a row," said Coach Marty Davis. "We have to regroup quickly because we play SDSU tomorrow and they are arguably better than the team we played today."
The Gauchos will play at No. 63 San Diego State tomorrow at 1:00PM.
San Diego 5, UCSB 2
1. Alex Konigsfeldt/Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) def. Dean Jackson and Nils Schive (USD) 5-5 (ret.)
2. Scott Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Charl Wolmarans/Thibaut Visy (USD) 8-3
3. Lucas Sudow/Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Nikola Bubnic/Abdullah Hashem (USD) 8-3
1. Dean Jackson (USD) def. Philip Therp (UCSB) 6-3, 6-2
2. Nikola Bubnic (USD) def. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 7-5, 7-5
3. Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Charl Wolmarans (USD) def. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) 4-6, 7-6, 6-4
5. Nils Schive (USD) def. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) 3-6, 7-6, 7-6
6. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Abdullah Hashem (USD) 6-1, 6-7, 7-5