Men's Tennis Swept By No.19 Cal 7-0
Feb. 20, 2011
Berkley Calif - The No. 60-ranked UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team was swept by the No. 19-ranked Cal golden bears 7-0, at the Hellman Tennis Complex Sunday, dropping the Gaucho's record to 2-5 on the season.
Every match involving the Gaucho men's tennis team this season has resulted in a shutout, but this trend will likely change Monday as Santa Barbara concludes it three match road trip against No. 65-ranked Santa Clara.
In doubles action, the Gauchos and Golden Bears split matches at courts No. 2 and No. 3 setting up a showdown at court No.1 for the doubles point. Alex Konigsfeldt and Taylor Chavez-Goggin battled No. 21-ranked Nick Andrews and Christoffer Konigsfeldt to a tiebreaker before losing 9-7.
"They pulled out the doubles point and it was very deflating," said UC Santa Barbara head coach Marty Davis. "We did not start well in our singles matches."
The Gauchos were defeated in straight sets in five of the six singles matches. Max Glenn extended his match with Bozhidar Katsarov to a tiebreaker at court No. 5, but failed to capitalize losing the match 6-2, 5-7, (10-7).
Next up for men's tennis is a road match against Santa Clara Monday, Feb. 21 beginning at 11 a.m.
Complete results listed below:
1. No. 21 Andrews/Konigsfeldt (CAL) def. Chavez-Goggin/Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 9-7
2. Murphy/Zerbini (CAL) def. Forget/Recknagel (UCSB) 8-1
3. Jurgensen/Therp (UCSB) def. Katsarov/B. McLachlan (CAL) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1* (California wins doubles point)
1. No. 41 Pedro Zerbini (CAL) def. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
2. No. 95 Christoffer Konigsfeldt (CAL) def. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 6-0, 6-3
3. Nick Andrews (CAL) def. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) 7-5, 6-3
4. Ben McLachlan (CAL) def. Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) 6-2, 7-6(5)
5. Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) def. Max Glenn (UCSB) 6-2, 5-7, 1-0(7)
6. Riki McLachlan (CAL) def. Philip Therp (UCSB) 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1*, 6, 4, 5