Feb. 21, 2010
San Diego, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team played their second dual match in San Diego today against San Diego State. After hours of rain delays, the Aztecs came out on top in singles, giving them the win 4-2.
After UCSB lost in No. 1, 2, and 3 Singles, the Gauchos' had two victories by freshmen Lucas Sudow and Benjamin Recknagel. Sudow, who is now 7-1 this season, defeated SDSU's Luis Rattenhuber, 7-6, 6-3. Recknagel also beat Jakob Kowalski in two sets, 6-0, 6-3. Recknagel has now won three singles matches in a row and is 6-3 for the season.
With a 3-2 lead, the Aztecs locked down the win in No. 6 Singles. Junior Taylor Chavez Goggin fell to SDSU's Tim Schulz van Endert, 6-3, 7-5.
Since the long, rain delayed match was already decided by the singles play, the teams decided not to compete in doubles.
"We felt really confident with our doubles teams," said Junior Evan Jurgensen. "If we split the singles matches and were forced to play doubles, it would have been interesting to see what would have happened."
After nine straight road games, the Gauchos will host their first home match this season against UC Davis on Saturday, February 27.
San Diego State 4, UC Santa Barbara 2
Was not contested.
1. Achim Ceban (SDSU) d. Philip Therp (UCSB), 6-3, 6-2
2. Juan Gomez (SDSU) d. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB), 6-1, 6-4
3. Giovanni Vaglietti (SDSU) d. Mathieu Forget, 6-0, 6-3
4. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) d. Luis Rattenhuber (SDSU), 7-6, 6-3
5. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) d. Jakob Kowalski (SDSU), 6-0, 6-3
6. Tim Schulz van Endert (SDSU) d. Taylor Chavez Goggin, 7-6, 7-5