UCSB Drops 6-1 Decision to Sixth Ranked UCLA
Feb. 27, 2008
LOS ANGELES - Sophomore Josh Finkelstein recorded his fourth win of the season, defeating UCLA's Jeremy Drean at the No. 5 singles, but the forceful Bruins topped the Gauchos 6-1 on Wednesday afternoon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
Finkelstein, the team captain for the Gauchos, handed Jeremy Drean his first loss of the season, defeating him in the only three set match of the day 6-2, 1-6, 6-3. However, no other Gaucho could keep up with the potent Bruins' squad.
After sweeping the doubles point by winning all three matches, the Bruins captured five wins in six attempts in singles competition. UCLA's Harel Srugo, ranked 44th in the nation, defeated Bijan Hejazi at the No. 1 slot, 6-4, 6-3.
Two other top ranked Bruins came up victorious against the Gauchos, including 28th ranked Holden Seguso and 25th ranked Mathieu Dehaine. Seguso captured a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Philip Therp 6-3, 6-1, while Dehaine slammed Alexander Konigsfeldt 6-3, 6-0. The Bruins clinched the match after UCLA's Michael Look defeated Jack Hui at the No. 4 spot, 6-1, 7-5.
The Gauchos will continue their road-trip on Sunday as they will battle Cal Poly in UCSB's first Big West conference match. The showdown against the Mustangs will be the Gauchos first of three conference matches on the five game road-trip. The contest will take place on the Mustang Courts Sunday afternoon at 12:00 p.m.
1. Nick Meister /Srugo (UCLA) def. Hui/Therp (UCSB), 8-3
2. (47) Dehaine/Seguso (UCLA) def. Finkelstein/Konigsfeldt (UCSB), 8-4
3. Drean/Look (UCLA) def. Nigel Barton/Hejazi (UCSB), 8-3
1. (44) Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Bijan Hejazi (UCSB), 6-4, 6-3
2. (28) Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Philip Therp (UCSB), 6-3, 6-1
3. (25) Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB), 6-3, 6-0
4. Michael Look (UCLA) def. Jack Hui (UCSB), 6-1, 7-5
5. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) def. Jeremy Drean (UCLA), 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
6. Ahmed Ismail (UCLA) def. Eric Lee (UCSB), 6-4, 6-3