March 26, 2011
Provo, Utah - The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team split its doubleheader Saturday, defeating William and Mary 4-2, and dropping its match to UNC Wilmington 4-0, to conclude the BYU Invitational.
The Gauchos are now 8-9 overall and 2-1 in Big West Conference play.
In the first match of the day William and Mary took the doubles point, winning matches at courts No. 1 and No. 3. Benjamin Reckanagel and Mathieu Forget won their match at No. 2 doubles 8-6.
In singles, the Gauchos won four of the five completed matches. Alex Konigsfeldt defeated Ben Guthrie 6-3, 6-0 at court No. 2 and Forget squeaked out a 7-6, 7-6 victory over Sebastien Vidal at court No. 4. Max Glenn won in straight set at No. 5 singles defeating Ilja Orre 6-4, 6-3 and Philip Therp posted his first win since returning to the lineup defeating John Banks in three sets 6-3, 6-7, 6-1.
In the second match of the day UNC Wilmington won matches at courts No. 2, No. 3, No. 4 and No. 5 singles to clinch the victory. Benjamin Recknagel led Michael Pereira 6-2, 5-7, 3-0 at court No. 1, but the match was abandoned once the outcome was decided.
The Gauchos return to Big West Conference play in their next match against Pacific Saturday, April 2 beginning at 1 p.m. in Stockton.
Complete results listed below:
William and Mary vs. UC Santa Barbara
1. Guthrie/Vidal (W&M) def. Konigsfeldt/Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) 8-5
2. Recknagel/Forget (UCSB) def. Banks/Orre (W&M) 8-5
3. Whiteford/Andersson (W&M) def. Therp/Jurgensen (UCSB) 8-6
1. Recknagel (UCSB) vs. Andersson (W&M) 6-1, 0-1 susp.
2. Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Guthrie (W&M) 6-3, 6-0
3. Whiteford (W&M) def. Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) 5-7, 7-6, 6-1
4. Forget (UCSB) def. Vidal (W&M) 7-6, 7-6
5. Glenn (UCSB) def. Orre (W&M) 6-4, 6-3
6. Therp (UCSB) def. Banks (W&M) 6-3, 6-7, 6-1
1. Michael Pereira (UNCW) vs. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 6-2, 5-7, 3-0 susp.
2. Kinshuk Sharma (UNCW) def. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-3, 7-6
3. Chris Cooprider (UNCW) def. Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) 7-6, 7-6
4. Rafael Aita (UNCW) def. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) 6-4, 6-2
5. Kosta Blank (UNCW) def. Max Glenn (UCSB) 6-4, 6-4
6. Illia Ziamtsou (UNCW) vs. Philip Therp (UCSB) 6-2, 4-4 susp.