UCSB Falls to No. 39 Fresno State, 6-1
March 29, 2009
Fresno, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team was outmatched against a strong No. 39 Fresno State team as the Bulldogs went on to win 6-1 Sunday afternoon at the Wathen Tennis Center. The loss drops the Gauchos to 6-10 on the year while the Bulldogs improve to 9-6.
Fresno State was impressive from the start, notching three wins in doubles play to capture the point. No. 31 Mirko Zapletal and Rudolf Siwy dispatched No. 1 singles team Alex Konigsfeldt and Josh Finkelstein, 8-3. Soon after, Remi Boutillier and Rikus de Villiers took down Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen, 8-5.
The Gauchos dropped two more matches at the No. 6 and No. 2 slot to push the Bulldog lead to 3-0. Fresno State sealed the win after Tejesvi Veerepalli defeated Taylor Chavez Goggin by a score of 6-1, 7-6 (7-2).
UCSB's only win came from Josh Finkelstein on court three. The native from Los Angeles topped Rikus de Villiers in the third set tie breaker, 5-7, 6-4, (12-10).
The Gauchos will look to bounce back from today's loss when they play Big West rival Cal Poly on Wednesday. The match will take place at the Recreation Center courts at 1:30 p.m.
No. 39 Fresno State def. UC Santa Barbara, 6-1
1. No. 31 Siwy/Zapletal (FS) def. Konigsfeldt/Finkelstein (UCSB) 8-3
2. Boutillier/de Villiers (FS) def. Hohenstein/Jurgensen (UCSB) 8-5
3. No. 78 Leiby/Veerepalli (FS) def. Chavez Goggin/Caledonia (UCSB) 8-5
Order of Completion: 1, 2, 3
1. No. 55 Rudolf Siwy (FS) def. Alexander Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-1, 6-2
2. Mirko Zapletal (FS) def. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) 6-3, 6-0
3. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) def. Rikus de Villiers (FS) 5-7, 6-4, (12-10)
4. Remi Boutillier (FS) def. Max Taylor (UCSB) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
5. Tejesvi Veerepalli (FS) def. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Taylor Leiby (FS) def. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Completion: 6, 2, 5*, 1, 4, 3