March 31, 2010
San Luis Obispo, Calif. - The postponed match between UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly went in the Mustangs favor today in San Luis Obispo, Calif. as they defeated the Gauchos 6-1. UCSB falls to an overall record of 7-9 for the season and 3-2 in the Big West Conference.
To begin the match, Cal Poly won the No. 1 and No. 2 Doubles matches. Lucas Sudow and Benjamin Recknagel gave the Gauchos one win in doubles, beating Blake Wardman and Brian McPhee in the No. 3 position, 8-4.
The rest of the match was run by the Mustangs, who won all but one of the singles matches. UCSB's sole point came from freshman Benjamin Recknagel, who defeated Brian McPhee in No. 4 Singles, 6-1, 7-5. Recknagel leads team in singles win and has won ten of his last eleven appearances.
"It was kind of a let down because we had a couple of good wins and then we let this happen," said junior Evan Jurgensen. "We have matches Friday and Saturday and I'm sure we'll be able to rally back and play some good tennis."
The Gauchos will continue play this weekend on the road as they face Montana State and Boise State in Boise, Idaho. Their next home match will be on April 8 against Oregon.
Cal Poly 6 - UCSB 1
1. Bridge/Sonesson def. Konigsfeldt/Chavez Goggin (UCSB) 9-8, (8-6)
2. Fawcett/Foy def Hohenstein/Jurgensen (UCSB) 8-5
3. Sudow/Recknagel (UCSB) def Wardman/McPhee 8-4
1. Fawcett def Therp (UCSB) 7-6, 6-3
2. Bridge def Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
3. Sonesson def Sudow (UCSB) 6-4, 6-3
4. Recknagel (UCSB) def McPhee 6-1, 7-5
5. Jacobs def Forget (UCSB) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6. Foy def Glenn (UCSB) 6-3, 7-6, (7-3)