April 2, 2010
Boise, Idaho - UC Santa Barbara displayed a strong performance today in their win against Montana State, moving them to a record of 8-9 this season.
UCSB started off by taking the first point, winning two of the three doubles matches. Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen defeated Montana State's Corey Smith and Pawel Turzanski in No. 2 Doubles, 8-5. UCSB's Lucas Sudow and Benjamin Recknagel took the victory in No. 3 Doubles as they beat Esteban Ferrero and Myles Perkins 8-5.
All but one of the remaining matches went to the Gauchos. Junior Philip Therp tallied his third No. 1 Singles win this season, defeating Pawel Turzanski 6-3, 6-1. Lucas Sudow, Scott Hohenstein and Taylor Chavez Goggin each picked up a singles win against their Montana State opponents as well.
Freshman Benjamin Recknagel was unfazed when moved up to the No. 2 spot for the first time this season, beating Montana State's Fletcher Keyes in two sets, 6-2, 6-3. Recknagel has now won five singles matches in a row and leads the team in wins.
The Gauchos will play their second road game in Boise tomorrow against Boise State. They will return to their home court on April 8 against Oregon.
UCSB 6 - Montana State 1
1. Alberto Fuentes/Flethcher Keyes def. Konigsfeldt/Chavez Goggin (UCSB) 8-3
2. Hohenstein/Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Corey Smith/Pawel Turzanski 8-5
3. Sudow/Recknagel (UCSB) def. Esteban Ferrero/Myles Perkins 8-5
1. Philip Therp (UCSB) def. Pawel Turzanski 6-3, 6-1
2. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Fletcher Keyes 6-2, 6-3
3. Corey Smith def. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-1, 6-3
4. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) def. Alberto Fuentes 7-6, 4-6, (10-6)
5. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) def. Esteban Ferrero 6-3, 6-4
6. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) def. Myles Perkins 6-0, 6-2