No. 67 Gauchos Take Down No. 42 Boise State
April 3, 2010
Boise, Idaho - UC Santa Barbara had a big win today against Boise State, taking away the Broncos' undefeated home record (10-0) by a score of 4-3. The Gauchos are now 9-9 this season and are ranked No. 67 nationally.
UCSB tallied the first point as they won two of three double matches. Alex Konigsfeldt and Taylor Chavez Goggin defeated James Meredith and Jeff Mullen in No. 1 Doubles, 8-6. Freshmen duo Lucas Sudow and Benjamin Recknagel then beat Boise State in No. 3 Doubles 8-2.
The singles matches went down to the wire. After Taylor Chavez Goggin won his No. 6 Singles match in two sets, the Broncos answered back with a win in the No. 1 spot. UCSB's Lucas Sudow then took down Harry Skinner in No. 3 Singles, but Boise State fought to win the next two matches in the No. 4 and No. 5 positions.
With the match tied at 3-3, freshman Benjamin Recknagel faced Boise State's Vicente Joli. After splitting the first two sets, Recknagel sustained a sprained ankle, but that did not stop him. He fought through the injury and completed the match, winning in the third set by a score of 7-6 and sealing the victory for the Gauchos. Recknagel has now won his last six singles matches and leads the team in wins.
"It was a great win," said Coach Marty Davis. "We have had a lot of close matches this season and we finally won one."
The Gauchos will head home and compete against Oregon at home on April 8 at 1:00PM.
#67 UCSB 4 - #42 Boise State 3
1. Konigsfeldt/Chavez Goggin (UCSB) def. Meredith/Mullen 8-6
2. Joli/Pogostkin def. Hohenstein/Jurgensen (UCSB) 8-5
3. Sudow/Recknagel (UCSB) def. Bothe/Sheldon 8-2
1. James Meredtih def. Philip Therp (UCSB) 6-2, 6-3
2. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Vicente Joli 6-7, 7-5, 7-6 (1)
3. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) def. Harry Skinner 6-3, 7-5
4. Filipp Pogostkin def. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
5. Alex Bothe def. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) 7-5, 6-7, 7-5
6. Taylor Chavez Goggin def. Jeff Mullen (UCSB) 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 6, 1, 3, 4, 5, 2