No. 61 UCSB Drops Match to No. 27 Pepperdine, 6-1
April 11, 2010
Malibu, Calif. - The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team ended their three match win streak on Saturday in their 6-1 loss to Pepperdine in Malibu, Calif. No. 61 UCSB is now 6-7 on the road this season and 10-10 overall.
The Waves opened the match with a strong performance in doubles, sweeping the Gauchos in all three matches. From that point on, Pepperdine was in control, winning all but one singles match.
Benjamin Recknagel ended his seven match win streak in his first appearance in No. 1 Singles. Recknagel lost in three sets to No. 33 Bassam Beidas, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4. Pepperdine's other nationally ranked player, No. 58 Sebastian Fanselow, defeated UCSB's Philip Therp in No. 2 Singles, 6-3, 6-2.
The Gauchos' only point came from Mathieu Forget at the No. 6 spot, who defeated Alejandro Moreno in two sets, 7-6 (6), 6-1. The win marks Forget's second victory this week.
UCSB will be back at home on Sunday where they will face Loyola Marymount at 1:00PM.
No. 27 Pepperdine 6 - No. 61 UCSB 1
1. Beidas/Llompart def. Chavez Goggin/Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 8-3
2. Clarke/Tearney def. Recknagel/Sudow (UCSB) 8-6
3. Fanselow/Moreno def. Hohenstein/Jurgensen (UCSB) 8-2
1. #33 Bassam Beidas def Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. #58 Sebastian Fanselow def. Philip Therp (UCSB) 6-3, 6-2
3. Finn Tearney def. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) 6-3, 7-5
4. Alex Llompart def. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 6-3, 6-1
5. Mousheg Hovhannisyan def. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) 6-0, 6-3
6. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Alejandro Moreno 7-6 (6), 6-1