April 10, 2011
Dallas, Texas - The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team was defeated by SMU 4-3, Sunday, at the Turpin Tennis Center. The Gauchos have now dropped five consecutive matches.
UCSB has been competitive throughout the rough strech, losing four of the five matches by a 4-3 margin.
Doubles play has haunted the Gauchos in close matches this season and the trend continued Sunday, as SMU took the point with wins at courts No. 2 and No. 3. Alex Konigsfeldt and Taylor Chavez-Goggin won their match at court No. 1 defeating Joe Hattrup and Tobias Flood 8-6.
The Gauchos' next match is Saturday, April 16 against Cal Poly beginning at 1 p.m. at the Recreation Center Courts on campus.
Complete results listed below:
1. Alex Konigsfeldt/Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) def. Joe Hattrup/Tobias Flood (SMU) 8-6
2. Robert Sajovitch/Adham el-Effendi (SMU) def. Mathieu Forget/Philip Therp (UCSB) 8-4
3. Darren Walsh/Gaston Cuadranti (SMU) def. Benjamin Recknagel/Evan Jurgenson (UCSB) 8-6
1. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. David Costa (SMU) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6
2. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Gaston Cuadranti (SMU) 3-6, 7-5, (10-1)
3. Adham el-Effendi (SMU) def. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
4. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) def. Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) 6-4, 6-3
5. Tobias Flood (SMU) def. Philip Therp (UCSB) 6-2, 6-1
6. Max Glenn (UCSB) def. Robert Sajovitch (SMU) 6-4, 2-0 (Retired)