April 16, 2011
Santa Barbara, Calif - In an intense rivalry match UC Santa Barbara men's tennis fell just short in its upset bid of No. 40 Cal Poly, suffering its fifth straight 4-3 loss at the Recreation Center Courts Sunday.
Alex Konigsfeldt had an impressive day for the Gauchos partnering with fellow senior Taylor Chavez-Goggin to defeat the Mustangs' No. 1 pair, who are ranked 41st nationally. Konigsfeldt also took down Alex Sonesson at No. 2 singles 6-0, 6-2.
In other singles action, Mathieu Forget outlasted Jordan Bridge at court No. 3, winning 6-3, 6-7, 2-2 (10-6). At court No. 6 Philip Therp defeated Sebastian Bell 5-7, 6-4, 10-8. Therp has won five of his last six singles matches.
The Gauchos are still searching for the right doubles formula as losses at courts No. 2 and No. 3 gave the point to Cal Poly.
UCSB will honor its graduating seniors Alex Konisfeldt, Philip Therp, Taylor Chavez-Goggin and Evan Jurgensen, during the final home match of the year Sunday, against Loyola Marymount beginning at 1 p.m.
Complete results listed below:
1. Konigsfeldt/Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) Def. Dome/Sonesson (CP) 8-6
2. Comuzzo/Bridge (CP) Def. Recknagel/Forget (UCSB) 8-3
3. McPhee/Jacobs (CP) Def. Therp/Jurgensen (UCSB) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Andre Dome (CP) Def. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
2. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) Def. Alex Sonesson (CP) 6-0, 6-2
3. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) Def. Jordan Bridge (CP) 6-3, 6-7, 2-2
4. Brian McPhee (CP) Def. Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB) 7-5, 6-3
5. Marco Comuzzo (CP) Def. Max Glenn (UCSB) 6-2, 7-5
6. Philip Therp (UCSB) Def. Sebastian Bell (CP) 5-7, 6-4, (10-8)
Order of finish: 2, 1, 5, 4, 6, 3