April 17, 2009
Indian Wells, Calif. - The No. 4 seed UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team upended No. 5 seed UC Davis, 4-0, Friday afternoon to advance to the semi-finals of the Big West Championships at Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
The Gauchos came out on top in doubles play, edging the Aggies with a pair of 8-6 victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. Josh Finkelstein and Konigsfeldt downed Hunter Lee and Nick Lopez on court one while Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen topped Tyler Lee and Mike Reiser.
The UCSB overwhelmed UC Davis in singles play, winning the necessary three matches in straight sets. The first to come off the court was Taylor Chavez Goggin on court five, knocking off Chris Aria, 6-3, 6-0. Max Taylor soon followed up with a 6-4, 6-1 win at the No. 4 slot. The third and final victory to clinch the match for the Gauchos came at the No. 3 spot, when Scott Hohenstein captured a 6-2, 6-3 win.
With the win, the Gauchos (9-12 overall, 4-2 Big West) move on to the semi-finals to face No. 1 seed Pacific, who garnered a first round bye. The UCSB men edged the Tigers in their last meeting on March 28 in dramatic fashion, winning 4-3. The match will be at Indian Wells Tennis Garden at 9 a.m.
1. Finkelstein/Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. H. Lee/Lopez (UCD) - 8-6
2. Hohenstein/Evan Jurgensen (UCSB) def. T. Lee/Reiser (UCD) - 8-6
3. Nick Caledonia/Chavez Goggin (UCSB) vs. Josh Albert/Amaroli (UCD) - DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) vs. Nick Lopez (UCD) - DNF
2. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) vs. Mike Reiser (UCD) - DNF
3. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) def. Hunter Lee (UCD) - 6-2, 6-3
4. Max Taylor (UCSB) def. Tyler Lee (UCD) - 6-4, 6-1
5. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) def. Chris Aria (UCD) - 6-3, 6-0
6. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) vs. Nic Amaroli (UCD) - DNF
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 3