No. 57 Gauchos Roll Past Davis, Advance to Semi-Finals
April 30, 2010
Indian Wells, Calif. - UC Santa Barbara displayed a strong performance in their first match at the Big West Tournament, shutting out UC Davis 4-0 on Friday. The nationally ranked Gauchos will advance to the semi-finals tomorrow in their pursuit to win their fifth consecutive Championship title.
UCSB dominated in doubles, giving up a total of four games to their Davis opponents. Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen were the first to win in the No. 3 spot by a score of 8-3. Alex Konigsfeldt and Taylor Chavez Goggin then closed out the doubles point, defeating Hunter Lee and Nick Lopez in the No. 1 position, 8-1.
The Gauchos carried the momentum they had over to their singles play, winning the first three singles matches in two sets for the 4-0 victory.
Mathieu Forget was the first to win in No. 4 Singles, giving up only two games to Davis' Chris Aria in his 6-1, 6-1 win. Senior Scott Hohenstein also played a strong match, beating Hunter Lee 6-1, 6-2 in the No 5 spot. Alex Konigsfeldt then closed the match with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Toki Sherbakov.
"Today's win was a great confidence booster and a great way to prepare for tomorrow," said Coach Marty Davis. "I think we'll do well."
The fourth seeded Gauchos will face top seeded Cal Poly in the semi-finals. The Blue-Green Series rivals will face-off at 3:00PM Saturday in Indian Wells, Calif.
UC Santa Barbara 4 - UC Davis 0
1. Konigsfeldt/Chavez Goggin (UCSB) def. H. Lee/Lopez, 8-1
2. Recknagel/Sudow (UCSB) def. Amaroli/T.Lee, DNF
3. Hohenstein/Jurgensen (UCSB) def. Sherbakov/Coates, 8-3
Order of finish: 3,1
1. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) v. Nick Lopez, DNF
2. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB) def. Toki Sherbakov, 6-1, 6-2
3. Lucas Sudow (UCSB) v. Tyler Lee, DNF
4. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Chris Aria, 6-1, 6-1
5. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB) def. Hunter Lee, 6-1, 6-2
6. Taylor Chavez Goggin (UCSB) v. Nic Amaroli, DNF
Order of finish: 4,5,2