May 10, 2008
MALIBU, Calif. - The 58th-ranked UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team fell to a dominant No. 22 Stanford squad, 4-0, in the first round of the NCAA Division I Tournament Saturday afternoon at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center.
Stanford climbs to 13-8 overall while the Gauchos drop to 15-10 to end their season. UCSB, in their second straight NCAA trip, won the Big West Championships to qualify for the NCAAs.
The Cardinal came out of the gate quickly, winning the doubles point with victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 slots. Stanford's Richard Wire and Greg Hirshman rolled over Anders Dalskov and Jack Hui, 8-4, to put them in position to win the doubles point. Soon after, the Cardinal clinched the doubles point as the Stanford duo of Blake Muller and Matt Bruch nipped sophomore Philip Therp and junior Bijan Hejazi in a disheartening tie breaker that ended in 9 (6)- 8 decision.
In singles action, the Gauchos remained on the ropes, dropping matches on court No. 1 and No. 6. Stanford's Alex Clayton, ranked seventh in the nation, made quick work of Philip Therp, defeating him 6-1, 6-4. Meanwhile, junior Max Taylor soon followed suit, losing to Hirshman, 6-2, 6-0, to put the Cardinal up 3-0.
Stanford soon completed the sweep when Muller defeated freshman Alexander Konigsfeltd, 6-3, 6-1 and eliminating the Gauchos from the NCAA tournament. Stanford will meet Pepperdine at 1 p.m. to determine who moves on to the team finals, on May 16-20, in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
1. #7 Alex Clayton (Stanford) vs. Philip Therp 6-1, 6-4
2. #80 Matt Bruch (Stanford) vs. Bijan Hejazi 6-2, 4-5 DNF
3. #124 Richard Wire (Stanford) vs. Jack Hui 6-3, 0-4 DNF
4. Blake Muller (Stanford) vs. Alex Konigsfeldt 6-3, 6-1
5. Phils Kao (Stanford) vs. Anders Dalskov 6-2, 4-1 DNF
6. Greg Hirshman (Stanford) vs. Max Taylor 6-2, 6-0
1. Muller/Bruch (Stanford) vs. Therp/Hejazii (UCSB) 9(6)-8
2. Clayton/Kelly (Stanford) vs. Finklestein/Konigsfeldt (UCSB) 7-8
3. Wire/Hirshman (Stanford) vs. Dalskov/Hui (UCSB) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1); Singles (1, 6, 4)