No. 21 USC Defeats Gauchos in NCAA First Round Match, 4-0
May 11, 2007
LOS ANGELES - No. 12 USC, winner of 16 national titles and making its 29th NCAA Tournament appearance, remained unbeaten at home this year, defeating UC Santa Barbara, 4-0, in an NCAA Championships Men's Tennis first round match at USC's Marks Stadium on Friday.
USC improved to 21-2 while UCSB fell to 6-19. The Gauchos, in their second straight NCAA trip, won the Big West Championships to qualify for the NCAAs.
The Trojans won the doubles point decisively. The doubles team of Robert Farah and Kaes Van,t Hof defeated UCSB,s Jack Hui and Philip Therp, 8-0, while USC,s Dejan Cvetkovic and Gary Sacks downed the Gauchos, Anders Dalskov and Grant Robertson by the same score. USC,s Jamil Al-Agba and Garrett Snyder led Josh Finkelstein and Nigel Barton, 6-2, when doubles play ended.
Jason McNaughton earned USC,s first singles point at No. 6 singles with a 6-0, 6-4 win over Max Taylor. Farah then gave USC a 3-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Hui at No. 4 singles. Sacks, at No. 5 singles, finished off the Gauchos with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Finkelstein.
Al-Agba, Cvetkovic, and Van,t Hof were all up a set when their matches were called after USC clinched the match.
Troy will face Pepperdine, a 4-1 winner over Penn State earlier in the day at approximately 3 p.m. on Saturday.
(1) #43 Robert Farah-Kaes Van,t Hof (USC) def. Jack Hui-Philip Therp (UCSB), 8-0
(2) Dejan Cvetkovic-Gary Sacks (USC) def. Anders Dalskov-Grant Robertson (UCSB), 8-0
(3) Jamil Al-Agba-Garrett Snyder (USC) led Josh Finkelstein-Nigel Barton (UCSB), 6-2 DNF
(1) #36 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) led Bijan Hejazi (UCSB), 7-5, 3-1 (DNF)
(2) #52 Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) led Anders Dalskov (UCSB), 6-3, 4-2 (DNF)
(3) #63 Kaes Van,t Hof (USC) led Philip Therp (UCSB), 6-4, 3-3 (DNF)
(4) Robert Farah (USC) def. Jack Hui (UCSB), 6-2, 6-2
(5) Gary Sacks (USC) def. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB), 6-4, 6-4
(6) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Max Taylor (UCSB), 6-0, 6-4