Christine Ramos: A Great Example
May 5, 2009
UCSB student-athletes are a special group of young men and women who also serve as great role models to the many fans and youth that support them in sports and in everyday life.
Each day more than 450 UCSB student-athletes compete in the classroom, compete in their respective sport and give back to the community.
This week's Great Example is softball player, Christine Ramos. Ramos, a graduating senior from Long Beach, Calif., is currently completing a degree in sociology with a minor in exercise and sports science. She will be joining the UCSB softball coaching staff as an assistant next year.
Ramos is completing a four-year softball career that has resulted in an array of accolades, including All-Big West First Team honors the past two seasons, as well as All-Big West Second Team honors as a freshman.
She has also led the Big West in hits the past four seasons - the first Gaucho to ever do so - and is on pace to finish her career with the best four-year batting average in program history. This season she broke the Gaucho career record for hits as well as her own single season hits record. Beyond her statistics, however, Ramos has proven to be a leader. She is energetic, tireless, vocal, and leads by example.
"Christine is an example of how every player should conduct herself," observed Gaucho head coach Brie Galicinao. "She thinks big picture about the team first and has a simplistic approach to her daily routine: work hard every day and you'll get your payoffs."
In addition to her play on the field, Ramos gives back to her community during the summer by volunteering at softball camps where her teammates way, the young athletes feed off the energy she has and work harder because they want to be just like her. Ramos took some time to answer a few questions about herself.
1. What is your favorite part about going to UCSB?
I love that I could play the sport that I love in a beautiful location and get a great education.
2. What are you going to miss most about playing softball for the Gauchos?
I think the question is what am I not going to miss, but I am really going to miss putting my jersey on every game day and representing my school and all the great people I have met in the program.
3. What do you like to do in your free time?
I like to catch up with friends and family. I also like to play my guitar.
4. What has been your biggest accomplishment while playing here?
My biggest accomplishment is being chosen to be a captain of the softball team.
5. What will you miss most about Isla Vista?
I am going to miss the laid back atmosphere and all the awesome people.
6. Do you have any pre-game rituals?
I have to listen to a good pump up song before I get to the field. This jam can range from classic rock to hip-hop. Any song that I know will get me going and focused.
7. Who is your biggest role model?
My brother. We have always been really close and I have always looked up to him.
8. What has been your favorite class at UCSB?
I really enjoyed taking sport psychology. I like to learn about the mental aspect of sports.
9. Now that softball is almost over, what will you do with all of your free time?
I will spend a lot time at the beach and with all my friends. I have to take advantage of the time I have left with them because it's flying fast!
10. What is one thing about you most people don't know?
I have two webbed toes.
11. What has been your biggest challenge in your 4-year college softball career?
Time management- being on the road with homework and tests can be difficult.
12. If you couldn't play softball, what other sport would you want to play?
Surfing or beach volleyball
13. The one thing you could not live without is...
My Ipod. Can't live without music.
14. Is there any motto that you live by?
What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger.
15. If could only pick one I.V restaurant to eat at, which one would you pick?
16. In one word how would you describe UCSB softball?
17. If you could go back and change something from you four years here, what would it be?
I wouldn't change anything; I have no regrets.