UCSB Trumps San Francisco, 4-3
SAN FRANCISCO - The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team bounced back from a tough loss at St. Mary's on Saturday wiht a tight 4-3 win over the University of San Francisco on Sunday afternoon at Golden Gate Park.
The win improves the Gauchos record to 2-5. USF drops to 2-4
Santa Barbara had to fight back from a loss in the doubles. Gauchos Jordan Dockendorf and Kiersten Meehan teamed to win 8-4 and No. 2 doubles, but San Francisco won the two other doubles matches to claim the doubles points.
UCSB turned things around in the singles matches, beginning at No. 1 where Natalia Lozano battled back after a first set loss to win, 1-6, 6-2, 6-4. Sofia Novak dropped her match at No. 2, but Kiersten Meehan swept Hadzi Tonovic at No. 3, 6-4, 6-3, to give the Gauchos at chance.
To win the match, UCSB had to claim two of the last three singles contests.
The Gauchos' freshman star, April Scatliffe (Redlands, Calif., Redlands HS) overcame a one-set deficit to win at No. 4, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4. It was Scatiffe's fourth win of the year. The Gauchos lost at No. 5 singes, but Dockendorf clinched the match with a win at No. 6 singles. Dockendorf swept San Francisco's Alana McMahon, 7-6 (4), 6-2.
UCSB remains in the Bay Area to play at Santa Clara on Monday, Feb. 20. The match will begin at 11:00 a.m.
UCSB 4, USF 3
1. Hadzi Tanovic/Wartenburger (USF) def Lozano/Scatliffe (UCSB)9-7
2. Dockendorf/Meehan (UCSB) def Hashiguchi/Nikolic (USF) 8-4
3. Akerbrant/McMahon (USF) def Novak/Cank (UCSB) 9-8(6)
1. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def Milica Nikolic (USF) 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
2. Julia Wartenburger (USF) def Sofia Novak (UCSB) 6-1, 6-1
3. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def Hadzi Tonovic (USF) 6-4, 6-3
4. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def Melinda Akerbrant (USF) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Yurie Hashiguchi (USF) def Paola Cos (UCSB) 6-2, 6-2
6. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def Alana McMahon (USF) 7-6 (4), 6-2.
Sent from my iPhone