SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team recorded one of its most decisive wins of the 2012 dual match season on Saturday afternoon, blanking the University of Texas, El Paso (UTEP) by a score of 7-0 at the Robertson Gymnasium Courts.
The Gauchos jumped out to a 1-0 lead by claiming all three doubles matches. At No. 1, Natalia Lozano and Jordan Dockendorf eased past Martina Trierweiler and Rebeca Calvillo, 8-2. The No. 2 duo of Erica Cano and Sofa Novak won an 8-4 decision over Gabi Vazquez and Marie LeBlond, and at No. 3 Kiersten Meehan and April Scatliffe edged Dariya Abdrakhmanova and Anastasiya Sylenko in a tiebreaker, 8-7 (7-5).
The singles matches were swept by UCSB. Playing No. 2, Novak won after her opponent, Calvillo, retired in the second set. Novak won the first set 6-2 and led in the second, 1-0.
Four other Gauchos swept their contests. At No. 3, Scatliffe bested Vazquez, 6-2, 6-2. At the No. 4 slot, Meehan walloped Sylenko, 6-0, 6-0. At No. 5, Dockendorf nearly matched Meehan's dominance with a 6-0, 6-1 blowout win over LeBlond, and at No. 6, Cano clobbered Abdrakhmanova, 6-1, 6-4.
The only singles match that went past two sets was at No. 1. Lozano lost the first set to Trierweiler, 3-6, but recovered to win the final two sets, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5).
The victory over the Miners improves UCSB's overall record to 6-10. UTEP falls to 2-14.
The Gauchos travel to Loyola Marymount for a Tuesday, March 27 match against the Lions. They will then play at Fresno State on Friday, March 30 and against Nevada, in Fresno, on Saturday March 31.
UCSB returns home on Saturday, April 7, when it hosts Big West rival Long Beach State in a match at 11:00 a.m. at the Robertson Gymnasium Courts.
1. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Sofia Novak~ (UCSB) def. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 6-2, 1-0, retired
3. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-2, 6-2
4. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 6-0, 6-1
6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 6-1, 6-4
1. Natalia Lozano/Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 8-2
2. Erica Cano/Sofia Novak~ (UCSB) def. Gabi Vazquez/Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 8-4
3. Kiersten Meehan/April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 8-7 (7-5)