SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly split six singles matches on Tuesday afternoon, but the Mustangs scored the all-important doubles point to secure a 4-3 Big West victory in San Luis Obispo.
Because rain was anticipated, the teams played their six singles matches before playing doubles.
UCSB jumped out to a 1-0 lead when Jordan Dockendorf swept past Ane McPike at No. 6, 6-3, 6-0. Cal Poly tied the match with a win at No. 1 as Alexa Lee topped Sofia Novak, 6-3, 6-2, but the Gauchos went up 2-1 on a win by Paolo Cos at No. 5.
Natalia Lozano was next off the court as she defeated the Mustangs' Jocelyn Davis, 6-3, 7-5 at No. 2. But Cal Poly bounced back with wins at No. 4 and then No. 3 to draw even heading into the doubles.
The Gauchos and Mustangs split the first two doubles contests that came off the court. McPike and Kathryn Webb defeated Novak and Cos 8-4 at No. 2 to take take the first match. Lozano and Dockendorf evened things with an 8-5 win at No. 1. No. 3 doulbes turned out the be the decider and Jen Cornea and Gabby Gatewood beat April Scatliffe and Kiersten Meehan, 8-3.
The loss drops UCSB to 8-13 overall and 3-3 in the Big West. The Gauchos will travel to Cal State Fullerton on Saturday, April 14 for a noon match against the Titans before returning home for their final regular season match on Sunday, April 15 when they host UC Riverside at Robertson Gym Tennis Courts.
1. Lozano/Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Lee/Davis (CP), 8-5
2. McPike/Webb (CP) def. Novak/Erica Cano (UCSB), 8-4
3. Cornea/Gatewood (CP) def. Scatliffe/Meehan (UCSB), 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Alexa Lee (CP) def. Sofia Novak (UCSB), 6-3, 6-2
2. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Jocelyn Davis (CP), 6-3, 7-5
3. Jen Cornea (CP) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB), 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
4. Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB), 7-5, 6-4
5. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Gabby Gatewood (CP), 6-2, 6-4
6. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Ane McPike (CP), 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 5, 2, 4, 3