SANTA BARBARA, Calif.- The Gaucho Women lose a tough match against their biggest competition of the season. Long Beach State took home the win, 6-1.
After a great first conference win on Saturday against UC Riverside, the Gauchos headed to Long Beach state where they knew they were in for a tough battle. The women were without number three player, Paola Cos, this weekend, so the women knew that had to bring their A game to the court.
"I have to give credit to Long Beach State, who is the team to beat in our conference. We will make them play tougher next time around." Coach Thibodeau comments on Long Beach State's win.
The women struggled against Long Beach's tough doubles line-up, and without Cos they had to switch their doubles teams around this weekend. The women fell in the three doubles matches, 8-6, 8-0, 8-4.
Prisclia Garcia, April Scatliffe, and Megan Carter were not able to pull through in their singles matches, making Long Beach State realize they had clenched the win.
Although the outcome of the match was determined already, Stacy Yam kept things positive and was able to bring home a 6-3, 6-2 win.
"I think I played my kind of tennis today, which is hard and solid hitting, making as few technical errors as possible. I just tried to focus on every point and move well to every ball and keep in mind everything we do in practice." Stacy Yam said of her performance on the court.
The Gauchos ended the match with a 6-1 loss, but are confident that another run in with Long Beach state will have a different end result.
"For the next time we play Long Beach I think we need to come out a bit stronger mentally and ready to fight for every point. Hopefully we have our full line-up next time we meet with every player healthy and free of any injuries." Yam comments on their next match up with Long Beach State.
The women will be facing off against Colorado State on February 15th at 1:00pm back at the UCSB courts.
1. 1. MALENOUSKA, Klaudia (LBS) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-1, 6-2
2. 2. UNDEN, Ebba (LBS) def. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) 6-2, 6-4
3. 3. CANTLAY, Sarah (LBS) def. Priscila Garcia (UCSB) 6-1, 6-0
4. 4. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. RODRIGUEZ, Eva (LBS) 6-3, 6-2
5. 5. ROZENBERG, Karolina (LBS) def. Erica Cano (UCSB) 7-5, 6-1
6. 6. WILLEMS, Anne-Sophie (LBS) def. Megan Carter (UCSB) 6-1, 6-2
1. 1. MALENOUSKA, Klaudia/ CANTLAY, Sarah (LBS) def. April Scatliffe/ Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) 8-6
2. 2. UNDEN, Ebba/ ROZENBERG, Karolina (LBS) def. Megan Carter/ Priscila Garcia (UCSB) 8-0
3. 3. WILLEMS, Anne-Sophie/ ONAGA, Hazuki (LBS) def. Stacy Yam/ Erica Cano (UCSB) 8-4
UC Santa Barbara 3-2