SANTA BARBARA, Calif.- The women Gauchos faced off against conference rivals, UC Irvine, yesterday afternoon in a tough battle, ultimately losing 5-2.
Women's Tennis had a tough matchup with UC Irvine yesterday, where the Anteaters took the victory from the Gauchos, 5-2.
The day started out with doubles, where Irvine put their best foot forward, making it hard for the Gaucho women to take an early lead. April Scattliffe and Prisclia Garcia gave Irvine's number one team a run for their money as they took the match to a tiebreaker. The duo was unable to clench the victory, losing the tiebreak 8-7 (6).
"UCI is a great team and unfortunately they were better than us yesterday. I am sure we need to improve at doubles if we want to beat the Eaters next time." Player Priscila Garcia mentions about UC Irvine.
The Gaucho women were ready to earn that doubles point back in the singles lineup, where they are known to perform well. Each match was a hard fought battle, as no one was willing to give away free points.
Priscila Garcia was the first one of the team to be able to earn a point for UCSB, as she battled her opponent to a 7-5, 6-2 win.
"I think I played really well, I was able to choose the right shots and be solid in every point. I think my attitude made the difference because I showed my opponent that I was ready to fight for every ball." Garica says on her performance.
Meehan, Scatliffe and Cos were the next three off the court, all unable to close out their matches, making it a 4-1 lead for the Anteaters. Although the outcome of the match was already determined, Erica Cano didn't stop working her opponent. Cano was able to come out victorious with a 6-4, 7-6 (3) win.
The match ended with a 5-2 loss for the Gauchos, but the women are not losing hope, as they know UCI has a very strong team this season.
The women are scheduled to play their next away match against Cal State Northridge, this coming weekend, February 23rd at 12:00pm.
1. 1. SMITH, Kristina (UCI) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-4, 6-1
2. 2. MAMIT, Marivick (UCI) def. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) 6-3, 6-3
3. 3. GOETTSCHING, Franziska (UCI) def. Paola Cos (UCSB) 7-6, 6-1
4. 4. Priscila Garcia (UCSB) def. GONG, Sarah (UCI) 7-5, 6-2
5. 5. FACEY, Ali (UCI) def. Stacy Yam (UCSB) 7-6, 6-3
6. 6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. STADFELT, Sarah (UCI) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
1. 1. GOETTSCHING, Franziska/ SMITH, Kristina (UCI) def. April Scatliffe/ Priscila Garcia 8-7 (6)
2. 2. MAMIT, Marivick/ STADFELT, Sarah (UCI) def. Kiersten Meehan/Erica Cano (UCSB) 8-3
3. 3. FACEY, Ali/ SCHWEYER, Brooke (UCI) def. Paola Cos/ Karolina Kecki (UCSB) 8-1
UC Santa Barbara 5-2