UCSB Blows Past Northridge, 6-1
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. – UC Santa Barbara dropped the doubles point on Saturday afternoon, but roared back to sweep all six singles matches in a 6-1 Big West win over Cal State Northridge.
The women brought some competition to the court as they swept in singles to bring home their 6-1 win against CSUN.
The women started out slow in doubles, as they lost their number one and two doubles matches 8-2, and 8-3 respectively.
"I think we need to put a little more work into doubles. It's very hard to find the right combinations of people, but I think it will come together soon." Number two player Kiersten Meehan comments on their doubles' play.
Going into their singles play down 0-1 yet again, the Gauchos were faced with a bit of pressure. The women proved that they work well under pressure though as they took postions 2,3,5 and 6 matches quickly.
Erica Cano was the first off the court with a quick 6-2, 6-0 win, shortly followed by teammate Kiersten Meehan who brought a 7-5, 6-3 win to the Gauchos.
"I think I played pretty well. It was definitely a good win for us, and I am excited for Texas next weekend." Says Meehan.
Stacy Yam and Paola Cos were the next two off the court, making the score 4-1 for the Gauchos and therefore clenching another win.
"I am happy to get the win in a tough environment. We started strong in singles and were able to win all six of them. It wasn't always pretty, but we'll take the win." Coach Thibodeau reports on the overall match.
April Scatliffe and Priscila both took their opponents to ten point tie-breakers in the third, and both of them coming out victorious.
"I think it is very clear that we are very strong in singles, being able to come back on every court after a doubles loss. I am very confident in our singles play." Meehan says of the singles sweep.
The Gauchos will travel to Arlington, Texas this weekend, facing off against Stephen F. Austin Saturday at 10:00am.
1. Man-Son-Hing/Yang (CSUN) def. Scatliffe/Garica (UCSB): 8-1
2. Pistalu/Cheung (CSUN) def. Cos/Cano (UCSB): 8-3
3. Yam/Meehan (UCSB) def. Schnyder/Warren (CSUN): 6-6 (7-3)
1. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Anna Yang (CSUN): 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
2. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. Maria Pistalu (CSUN): 7-5, 6-3
3. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN): 7-6 (3), 6-3
4. Priscilla Garcia (UCSB) def. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN): 6-3, 6-7 (3), 10-6
5. Staey Yam (UCSB) def. Corinne Schnyder (CSUN): 7-6 (3), 6-3
6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. Jessica Warren (CSUN): 6-2, 6-0
UC Santa Barbara 6-3