Women’s Tennis Remains Victorious in Texas
ARLINGTON, TX.- The Gauchos took home a great 4-2 victory against UT, Arlington today, as they complete their trip in Texas, undefeated.
"Our doubles teams seem to be working itself out with these new combinations of people. We won both doubles points fairly easily so we were really happy with our doubles play this weekend," said Kiersten Meehan of the weekend.
The Gauchos were able to clinch another doubles point today as Garcia and Cano took the number one slot with a close 8-6 win. The duo of Scatliffe and Meehan also took an 8-4 win, giving the Gauchos a 1-0 lead.
"I have played doubles with April a lot before, especially last year, so we are already pretty comfortable with each other and feed off of each other's energy almost naturally," adds Meehan. "It has been great overall, and even better because we won."
Again the teams decided that once the outcome of the match was determined, that the other matches would be suspended, no matter how far into the match they were.
Kiersten Meehan was the first off of the court, blowing past her opponent 6-2, 6-0, giving the Gauchos a 2-0 lead over Arlington.
After losses at slots three and five, the match was tied up at 2-2. Erica Cano pulled out her match next, 6-0, 7-6.
Garcia and Scatliffe were the last ones on the court, both tied up in three set matches, knowing that they needed at least one of the matches to clench the victory. Scatliffe ended up fighting through to a 6-3, 2-6, 6-0 win, making the final score 4-2, and thus ending Garcia's match which was currently 6-4, 3-6, 4-1 in Garcia's favor.
"We are glad to get the two wins in Texas. UT Arlington really played well at all positions. We found a way to win despite not playing our best tennis, which is a good sign. We will definitely learn from this win," added Coach Simon Thibodeau of the performance this weekend.
The Gaucho Women will be back at UCSB for their next match against Furman on Thursday, March 7th, at 2:00pm.
1. 1. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. DIKOSAVLJEVIC, Katarina (UTA): 6-3, 2-6, 6-0
2. 2. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. DENNIS, Brooke (UTA): 6-2, 6-0
3. 3. D'ORTONA, Giana (UTA) def. Paola Cos (UCSB): 6-3, 6-1
4. 4. Priscila Garcia (UCSB) vs. SCOTT, Verena (UTA): 6-4, 3-6, 4-1 (UNF)
5. 5. THOMS, Elizabeth (UTA) def. Stacy Yam (UCSB): 6-3, 6-0
6. 6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. SMAIZYTE, Liucija (UTA): 6-0, 7-6
1. 1. Priscila Garcia/ Erica Cano (UCSB) def. DENNIS, Brooke/THOMS, Elizabeth (UTA): 8-6
2. 2. April Scatliffe/ Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. D'ORTONA, Giana/ SCOTT, Verena (UTA): 8-4
3. 3. FOOTE, Christine/ DIKOSAVLJEVIC, Katarina (UTA) def. Paola Cos/ Stacy Yam (UCSB): 8-1
UC Santa Barbara 8-3