UCSB Rolls Past Cal Poly on Erica Cano's Senior Day
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – UC Santa Barbara rolled past visiting Cal Poly in Big West Conference women's tennis action on Saturday, 6-1. The match was part of the Blue-Green Rivalry series.
On Senior Day for Erica Cano, the Gauchos got going early, sweeping the three doubles matches to earn a 1-0 lead heading into singles. In fact, it was Cano and her partner, Stacy Yam, who walked off the doubles court first with an 8-2 victory over Kathryn Webb and Haley Kepler at No. 3.
The clinching win came at No. 1 where Priscilia Garcia and Paola Cos trumped Ane McPike and Louise Oxnevad, 8-5. Kiersten Meehan and April Scatliffe completed the doubles sweep with an 8-5 win over Jen Cornea and Gabrielle Gatewood at No. 2.
UCSB made it 2-0 without even stepping back onto the court as the Mustangs defaulted at No. 6.
Yam was the first Gaucho to compete and walk off the court as she blanked Anna Klavins at No. 4, 6-0, 6-0. Cano completed her home career with an easy 6-0, 6-1 win over Kepler at No. 5.
"This was a solid conference win on an emotional senior day," said head coach Simon Thibodeau. "I'm proud of my team, they have such a great team spirit and that helps us win. We are looking to get better for next weekend."
The rest of the matches were decided by collegiate tiebreakers. At No. 3, Cos topped McPike, 5-7, 6-2, 10-3. At No. 2 it was Meehan defeating Cornea, 6-0, 2-6, 10-8. The only loss for Santa Barbara came at No. 1 where Scatliffe was beaten by Oxnevad, 1-6, 6-4, 10-8.
The Gauchos improve to 13-6 overall and 4-2 in the Big West. They will hit the road to play at UC Davis on Saturday, April 13 at 11:00 a.m.
UC Santa Barbara 6, Cal Poly 1
1. Oxnevad, Louise (CP) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB) 1-6, 6-4, 10-8
2. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. Cornea, Jen (CP) 6-0, 2-6, 10-6
3. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. McPike, Ane (CP) 5-7, 6-2, 10-3
4. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Klavins, Anna (CP) 6-0, 6-0
5. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. Kepler, Haley (CP) 6-0, 6-1
6. Karolina Kecki (UCSB) def. Gatewood, Gabrielle (CP), by default
1. Priscilia Garcia/Paola Cos (UCSB) def. McPike, Ane/Oxnevad, Louise (CP) 8-5
2. Kiersten Meehan/April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Cornea, Jen/Gatewood, Gabrielle (CP) 8-5
3. Erica Cano/Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Webb, Kathryn/Kepler, Haley (CP) 8-2
Cal Poly 3-15, 1-5 in BWC
UC Santa Barbara 13-6, 4-2 in BWC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,4,5,3,2,1)