Stockton, Calif.- The UC Santa Barbara women battled against University of Pacific Sunday afternoon, eventually falling 4-3.
"We played with fire and got burned today," UCSB head coach Simon Thibodeau said after Sunday's tough defeat.
The Tigers won two of the three doubles matches to claim a point that ultimately proved decisive.
"I think we need to come out with more energy in doubles and I think that will improve the tone of the overall match along with improving our outlook on singles," said senior Erica Cano.
"Pacific competed very well at home with their crowd behind them," Thibodeau said. "We can only learn and move forward from this tough loss."
Paola Cos and Erica Cano each started out strong and were the first two off the court with 6-3, 6-0 and 6-1, 6-3 wins respectively.
"I think I won because I was mentally focused the entire time and was a little fired up after the doubles loss, so I came out pretty strong." Cano said of her singles play.
Kiersten Meehan and Priscila Garcia both fell to their opponents in close matches, making the score 3-2 Pacific.
A 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 win by Yam leveled the match at 3-3, but Scatliffe dropped a tight 6-7, 6-2, 6-2 contest at No. 1, giving the Tigers their final 4-3 advantage.
The Gauchos will have some time before returning to action. They will host Cal on the Robertson Gym Courts on on Tuesday, April 23 at 2:30 p.m. The next day, they will leave for the desert and the Big West Championships.
1. 1. Hana Ritterova/ Iveta Masarova (Pac) def. Paola Cos/ Priscila Garcia (UCSB): 8-4
2. 2. April Scatliffe/ Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) vs. Susan Te/ Gergana Boncheva (Pac): 7-5
3. 3. Christiana Ferrari/ Regina Suarez (Pac) def. Stacy Yam/ Erica Cano (UCSB): 8-3
1. 1. Iveta Masarova (Pac) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB): 6-7, 6-2, 6-2
2. 2. Hana Ritterova (Pac) def. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB): 7-5, 6-2
3. 3. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Christiana Ferrari (Pac): 6-3, 6-0
4. 4. Gergana Boncheva (Pac) def. Priscila Garcia (UCSB): 6-4, 7-5
5. 5. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Susan Te (Pac): 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
6. 6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. Regina Suarez (Pac): 6-1, 6-3
UC Santa Barbara 14-7