Women’s Tennis falls short to No. 7 Cal
SANTA BARABARA, Calif.– UC Santa Barbara battled No. 7 ranked Cal this afternoon, ultimately falling 6-1.
The Gaucho women put everything on the court knowing that the Golden Bears would be anything but an easy matchup Tuesday afternoon.
"This was a great opportunity for us to compete versus one of the best teams in the nation at home," head coach Simon Thibodeau said. "This match will help us in our preparation for the Big West tournament."
The day started out with doubles where Cal showed their strong points by sweeping the matches and walking away with the doubles point.
Next, the women took the court for singles play being down 1-0. The Gauchos struggled in the first four matches as they dropped singles one through four.
Stacy Yam's day would be finished after being down 6-3 in the first set, moving the score to 5-0 in the Bears' advantage.
It was the last home match for UCSB this season, but for one Gaucho it would be the last home match of her collegiate career. Erica Cano, the only senior on the team, knew the importance of the moment and was able to pull out a tough 3-6, 6-0, 10-8 victoy, giving the Gauchos their only point of the day.
"I'm proud of Erica to finish her last senior home match with a quality win versus Cal," Thibodeau remarked.
The Gaucho women will be travelling to Indian Wells this Thursday for the Big West Conference Championships.
2. Taylor Davis/ Kelly Chui (CAL) def. Priscila Garcia/ Erica Cano (UCSB): 8-2
3. Alice Durandteau/ Laura Posylkin (CAL) def. Stacy Yam/ Paola Cos (UCSB): 8-3
1. Anett Schutting (CAL) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB): 6-0, 6-2
2. Klara Fabikova (CAL) def. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB): 6-0, 6-3
3. Zsofi Susaanyi (CAL) def. Paola Cos (UCSB): 6-3, 6-1
4. Taylor Davis (CAL) def. Priscila Garcia (UCSB): 6-0, 6-2
5. Annie Goransson (CAL) def. Stacy Yam (UCSB): 6-3, ret.
6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. Alice Durandteau (CAL): 3-6, 6-0, 10-8
UC Santa Barbara 14-8