Gauchos Come Close to another Win; Lose 4-3 Decision to No. 61 San Diego
SAN DIEGO, Calif.—The UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team (1-3) was in the midst of another challenge as the team took on No. 61 University of San Diego (1-2) earlier today. One day removed from defeating Loyola Marymount in a tight 4-3 decision, Santa Barbara looked to maintain the momentum and claim the second victory of the dual match season. Despite sweeping the Torreros in the doubles matches, the Gauchos could not hang on for the win as the team endured a close 4-3 loss.
UCSB had its best performance today in the doubles matches as all three Gaucho pairs won their contests. The freshman duo of Melissa Baker and Kaiulani Boyer stormed to a 6-3 victory. On court 2, April Scatliffe and Priscila Garcia claimed victory in a tight 7-5 match while the pair of Stacy Yam and Luisa Ortiz Candido breezed through their match to a 6-2 win.
"The new combinations for doubles really worked well," Coach Thibodeau said following today's matches. "It's good to be on the road as a group; especially with the injuries we are enduring, it brings the group closer together."
Taking the doubles point, UCSB looked to seal the win with the singles matches. Courts 1 through 4 were all victories for San Diego as the team's top four players battled to defeat the top four of the Gauchos. Despite the tough losses, UCSB tallied singles victories of its own on courts 5 and 6. Sophomore, Priscila Garcia showcased great play as she tallied a 6-0, 6-2 win. Fellow sophomore, Luisa Ortiz Candido endured a three set match, but eventually came out on top with the score of 6-3, 2-6, 10-8.
Following the loss earlier today, Thibodeau expressed his excitement for the team and the direction they are heading in.
"This weekend showed us that we are going in the right direction. We improved a lot and we are looking forward to playing the Washington schools," Thibodeau stated.
UCSB will travel north to face off against Washington St., next Saturday, Feb. 8th at 11 a.m. The very next day, the Gauchos will take on another Pac-12 opponent as the team is slated to match up against Washington at 10 a.m.
LMU 4, UCSB 3
Feb. 2, 2014
San Diego, Calif.
1. Melissa Baker/Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB) def. Shani Blecher/Marta Stojanovic (USD), 6-3
2. April Scatliffe/Pricila Garcia (UCSB) def. Anna Depenau/Colomba Di Filippo (USD), 7-5
3. Stacy Yam/Luisa Ortiz Candido (UCSB) def. Idil Haciraifoglu/Janine Koleta (USD), 8-2
1. Shani Blecher (USD) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB), 6-4, 6-3
2. Marta Stojanovic (USD) def. Stacy Yam (UCSB), 6-2, 6-4
3. Anna Depenau (USD) def. Paola Cos (UCSB), 6-3, 6-4
4. Colomba Di Filippo (USD) def. Melissa Baker (UCSB), 6-4, 6-3
5. Priscila Garcia (UCSB) def. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD), 6-0, 6-2
6. Luisa Ortiz Candido (UCSB) def. Idil Haciraifoglu (USD), 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
UCSB Season Record (1-3)