UCSB Drops Conference Opener to No. 42 Irvine
IRVINE, Calif.— On the road to start off Big West Conference play, UC Santa Barbara (1-7, 0-1) faced nationally ranked No. 42 UC Irvine (4-5, 2-0). One week removed from a tough loss to University of Pacific where four out of six singles matches went to the third set tiebreak; Santa Barbara aimed to start off conference action with a win against the Anteaters. On a day where three of the six singles matches went to the third set tiebreak, the Gauchos endured another tough loss as Irvine won a 6-1 decision.
Irvine set the tone early in the doubles matches as the Anteaters cruised to victories on court no. 1 and no. 2. Senior Kiersten Meehan and sophomore Luisa Ortiz Candido recorded a doubles win as the duo came out on top with an 8-6 victory.
Entering the singles matches with the deficit, the Gauchos looked to end the singles matches on a positive note. Junior leader, April Scatliffe seeded on court no. 1, delivered a 6-2, 5-7, 10-6 statement win. Freshman, Kaiulani Boyer played exceptionally well once again, but ultimately dropped a tough 6-1, 4-6, 6-1 decision on court no. 2. Even with the well played matches, UCSB once again came up short as the team could not record its first conference win of the dual match campaign.
UCSB must now focus on tomorrow's match as the team will face off against Cal State Fullerton at 11 a.m.
UCSB 1, UCI 6
Feb. 22, 2014
1. Ali Facey/ Franziska Goettsching (UCI) def. April Scatliffe/ Priscila Garcia, 8-1
2. Sarah Gong/ Brooke Schweyer (UCI) def. Jaimee Gilbertson/ Kaiulani Boyer, 8-0
3. Kiersten Meehan/ Luisa Ortiz Candido (UCSB) def. Maravik Mamiit/ Sarah Stadfelt, 8-6
1. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Maravik Mamiit, 6-2, 5-7, 10-6
2. Sarah Gong (UCI) def. Kaiulani Boyer, 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
3. Franziska Goettsching (UCI) def. Paola Cos, 6-1, 6-3
4. Ali Facey (UCI) def. Kiersten Meehan, 4-3, ret.
5. Kat Facey (UCI) def. Stacy Yam, 6-1, 5-7, 10-6
6. Sarah Stadfelt (UCI) def. Priscila Garcia, 6-2, 6-4
UCSB Season Record (1-7)