UCSB Suffers Close 4-3 Loss, Fall to UNLV
LAS VEGAS, Nev.—On the road this weekend for a pair of tough non conference matches, UC Santa Barbara women's tennis (3-11, 2-1) faced off against UNLV (7-6) earlier today. In a constant back and forth battle, Santa Barbara fell just shy of the win at the Fertitta Tennis Complex as the Gauchos endured another close 4-3 loss.
The day's action started off brightly for UCSB as the team produced positive results in the doubles matches. With a shuffle in the doubles lineup, the results were showing as the team captured the important doubles point with wins on court No. 2 and 3. Juniors, April Scatliffe and Stacy Yam recorded a win on court 2 today as the duo came out on top with an 8-4 victory. On court 3, senior Kiersten Meehan and sophomore Luisa Ortiz Candido pulled off an impressive win by the score of 8-3.
Heading into the singles matches on top, UCSB was in good position to stun the Rebels. Despite the early lead, UNLV battled till the very end as the team came from behind to secure the victory.
On court No. 1, Scatliffe fell to nationally ranked No. 51 Lucia Batta, 6-2, 6-0. Freshman, Kaiulani Boyer faced another tough loss today despite impressive play as she suffered a narrow 5-7, 7-6, 7-5 defeat. Senior, Kiersten Meehan also faced a tough loss on court No. 3 as she faced a 6-1, 2-6, 6-3 battle. Sealing the win for the Rebels was sophomore, Iren Kotseva on court No. 4 as she cruised past Yam, 6-3, 6-2.
Junior, Paola Cos continues to collect wins as she won another match on court No. 5 earlier today. In addition, freshman, Jaimee Gilbertson is now on a six match win streak as she battled for a 7-6, 3-6, 7-5 victory.
Up next for the Gauchos are nationally ranked No. 27 Columbia University. The match will be held tomorrow, Sunday, Mar. 16 at 10 a.m. at UNLV's Fertitta Tennis Complex.
UCSB 3, UNLV 4
LAS VEGAS, NEV.
Mar. 15, 2014
Fertitta Tennis Complex
1. Lucia Batta/Santa Shumilina (UNLV) def. Priscila Garcia/Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB) 8-6
2. April Scatliffe/Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Kamelia Dimitrova/Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV) 8-4
3. Luisa Ortiz Candido/Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. Aleksandra Josifoska/Iren Kotseva (UNLV) 8-3
1. #51 Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-2, 6-0
2. Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) def. Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB) 5-7, 7-6, 7-5
3. Santa Shumilina (UNLV) def. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
4. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) def. Stacy Yam (UCSB) 6-3, 6-2
5. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Kamelia Dimitrova (UNLV) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Paola Artiga (UNLV) 7-6, 3-6, 7-5
UCSB Season Record (3-11, 2-1)