SANTA BARBARA, Calif.—At the conclusion of finals week, the UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team (4-12, 2-1) pulled off a solid day of action against a nationally ranked No. 53 Kansas State (8-6). With the majority of the singles matches won by Santa Barbara and the Wildcats forfeiting two matches, the Gauchos secured a 4-3 win.
The Gauchos struggled in the opening action of the day as Kansas State claimed the doubles point. The lone doubles victory for UCSB came on court No. 3 by senior Kiersten Meehan and sophomore Luisa Ortiz Candido via forfeit.
The singles matches were highlighted with a shuffle in the lineup as freshman, Kaiulani Boyer took over the top singles spot as junior, April Scatliffe played as No. 2. Boyer faced a tough task as she fell to nationally ranked No. 46 Petra Neidermayerova, 6-1, 6-1. Scatliffe produced an impressive match as the junior started off with a 7-5 win in the first set. Scatliffe played through a tough third set tiebreaker, but ultimately fell in the three set marathon.
Junior, Stacy Yam turned in another productive day of action as she recorded a 6-3, 6-3 win on court No. 3. Extending her win streak to eight matches, freshman, Jaimee Gilbertson continues to shine as she recorded a 6-2, 6-3 win on court No. 4. Along with Yam and Gilbertson was junior, Paola Cos as her consistent play produced another victory by the score of 6-3, 6-2. With the Wildcats forfeiting the sixth singles match, UCSB sealed its victory over nationally ranked Kansas State on its first of three matches within five days.
Up next for the Gauchos will be fellow Big West opponent, Hawai'i on Monday, Mar. 24 at 12 p.m.
KSU 3, UCSB
Santa Barbara, Calif.
Mar. 24, 2014
1. Petra Niedermayerova/Amina St. Hill (K-State) def. Priscilla Garcia/Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB),
2. Palma Juhasz/Iva Bago (K-State) def. April Scatliffe/Jaime Gilbertson (UCSB), 8-5
3. K-State forfeits
1. (46) Petra Niedermayerova (K-State) def. Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB), 6-1, 6-1
2. Palma Juhasz (K-State) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB), 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (12-10)
3. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Livia Cirnu, 6-2, 6-3
4. Jaime Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Amina St. Hill (K-State), 6-2, 6-3
5. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Iva Bago, 6-3, 6-2
6. K-State forfeits
UCSB Season Record (4-12, 2-1)