UCSB Falls to Long Beach State, 6-1
SANTA BARBARA, Calif.— On a day with sunshine and windy conditions, the UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team (5-14, 2-3) faced off against nationally ranked No. 60 Long Beach State for a Big West conference match. Long Beach backed up its national ranking today as Santa Barbara suffered a 6-1 defeat.
The day's action was back and forth as the doubles matches were filled with long rallies and tight scores. Junior, April Scatliffe competed on court No. 1 alongside sophomore, Luisa Ortiz Candido. The duo provided a strong fight and applied pressure throughout the match. Despite the steady play, Long Beach captured a close 8-6 win on court No. 1.
Sophomore, Priscila Garcia seeded on court No. 2 with freshman, Jaimee Gilbertson. The pair proved to be a solid duo as they recorded an 8-7 victory. After falling to an early 5-2 deficit, the Gaucho pair pulled things together to achieve the win. Senior, Kiersten Meehan paired with freshman, Kaiulani Boyer on court No. 3 as the final doubles pair. In the end, Long Beach capitalized with the doubles point from its victories on courts 1 and 3.
The singles matches showcased itself as a major challenge for the Gauchos. Scatliffe once again seeded on court No. 1 while Gilbertson made a jump to court No. 2 earlier today. Boyer played as the third seed and nearly came up with a victory in a tight 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 loss. The lone win for the Gauchos came from junior, Stacy Yam as the Bay Area native endured a hard fought 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 victory.
"Long Beach was competitive on each and every court today," Head coach Simon Thibodeau said. "They are one of the top teams in the Big West and we need to compete with a better collective effort."
The Gauchos will have no time to rest up on this loss as the team will be back on the courts for tomorrow's conference match against UC Riverside. UCSB will take on the Highlanders tomorrow, Saturday Apr. 5 at noon at the Rec Center Courts.
LBSU 6, UCSB 1
Santa Barbara, Calif.
Apr. 4, 2014
1. Ebba Unden/ Laura Eales (LBSU) def. April Scatliffe/ Luisa Ortiz Candido (UCSB), 8-6
2. Jaimee Gilbertson/ Priscila Garcia (UCSB) def. Maeva Razakasoa/ Hayley Thompson (LBSU),
3. Karolina Rozenberg/ Holly Reid (LBSU) def. Kiersten Meehan/ Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB), 8-3
1. Maeva Razakasoa (LBSU) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB), 6-1, 6-2
2. Ebba Unden (LBSU) def. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB), 7-6, 6-3
3. Julie Gerard (LBSU) def. Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB), 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
4. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Paola Cos (UCSB), 6-2, 6-2
5. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Hayley Thompson (LBSU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Holly Reid (LBSU) def. Priscila Garcia (UCSB), 6-3, 6-1
UCSB Season Record (5-14, 2-3)