Gauchos Fall in Blue-Green Rival Match, Edged 4-3 by Cal Poly
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif.—In its last week of conference action, UC Santa Barbara (6-15, 3-4) headed north to face off against rivals, Cal Poly (6-9, 3-5). A day filled with back and forth action, Santa Barbara ultimately fell to the Mustangs in another tight 4-3 loss.
The day started off fast for UCSB as the team collected the valuable doubles point; claiming wins on courts 2 and 3. Juniors, April Scatliffe and Stacy Yam faced tough competition as the top duo endured an 8-3 loss. Playing on court 2, sophomore, Priscila Garcia and freshman, Jaimee Gilbertson recorded their third straight doubles win together after an 8-4 win. Senior, Kiersten Meehan and freshman, Kaiulani Boyer rounded out the doubles matches on court 3 with an impressive 8-5 victory.
Moving forward to the singles matches, UCSB was in prime position after the success in the doubles matches. Despite the early success, Cal Poly fought back, winning four of the six singles matches.
Seeded on court 1, Scatliffe faced a tough match with a 6-4, 6-2 loss. Showing consistent progression, Gilbertson claimed another victory on court 2 with a come from behind 3-6, 6-1, 7-5 score. Boyer played through another three set marathon, but came a little short with a 7-5, 5-7, 7-5 result. Yam faced a tough day on court 4 as the junior's three match win streak snapped with a 6-3, 6-0 loss. Meehan tallied another tight three setter as the senior recorded a 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 loss. Winning her eighth singles match of the dual season, senior Paola Cos claimed a straight set 6-2, 7-6 win on court 6.
UCSB will be back at home for Senior Day as the team will host its last regular season match against Cal State Northridge. Following a loss to the Mustangs, the season finale against Northridge will hold more weight as the Gauchos will look towards improving its place in the Big West Tournament. UCSB will take action against the Matadors tomorrow, Sunday Apr. 12 at noon.
UCSB 3, Cal Poly 4
San Luis Obispo, Calif.
Apr. 12, 2014
1. Jennifer Cornea/Hannah Stone (CP) def. April Scatliffe/Stacy Yam (UCSB), 8-3
2. Jaimee Gilbertson/Priscila Garcia (UCSB) def. Mika Padmanabhan/Kathryn Webb (CP), 8-4
3. Kiersten Meehan/Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB) def. Ane McPike/Emily Gibbens (CP), 8-5
1. Jennifer Cornea (CP) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB), 6-4, 6-2
2. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Emily Gibbens (CP), 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
3. Mika Padmanabhan (CP) def. Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB), 7-5, 5-7, 7-5
4. Hannah Stone (CP) def. Stacy Yam (UCSB), 6-3, 6-0
5. Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB), 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Ane McPike (CP), 6-2, 7-6
UCSB Season Record (6-15, 3-4)