INDIAN WELLS, Calif.—In its first action of the Big West Tournament, fifth seed UC Santa Barbara (8-15) cruised past fourth seed UC Davis (12-10) in a quarterfinal match. Santa Barbara faced stiff competition during the doubles contests, but later found the edge in the singles matches. With the victory, UCSB will face off against No. 1 Long Beach State (18-2) for the third straight time in the Big West Tournament semifinals on Saturday, Apr. 26 at 9 a.m.
The Gauchos set the tone early on court 3 as the pairing of senior, Kiersten Meehan and freshman, Kaiulani Boyer, recorded a lopsided 8-1 win. Davis secured its only victory on court 2 of the doubles matches as the duo of Megan Heneghan and Melissa Kobayakawa defeated the Gaucho pair of sophomore, Priscila Garcia and freshman, Jaimee Gilbertson. Garcia and Gilbertson had their four match win streak snapped with today's tight 8-7 loss. The top doubles match proved to be the deciding factor as the Gauchos secured its own 8-7 win. Junior, April Scatliffe and sophomore, Luisa Ortiz Candido displayed clutch tennis when it mattered most, securing the coveted doubles point for the Gauchos.
UCSB displayed some of its best tennis today as the team recorded three straight set victories to post the 4-0 victory. Scatliffe dominated on court 2 today as the junior cruised to a 6-1, 6-3 win. Seeded on court 4, junior, Stacy Yam played to a straight set victory with a score of 6-0, 6-3. Finding success on court 6, Garcia played a remarkable match to give her the 6-3, 6-2 win.
"We looked fit and strong today as every spot was solid," Head Coach Simon Thibodeau said. Emphasizing fitness and strength to prepare for the heat of Indian Wells, Calif., the Gauchos prepared well during its week off prior to the Big West Tournament. UCSB will face a tougher task tomorrow as it is slated to face off against top seed, Long Beach State.
"We will need to play even tougher versus Long Beach State tomorrow," Thibodeau stated. The Gauchos and 49ers faced off earlier this season; resulting in a 6-1 win for Long Beach. UCSB will look to continue to play clutch tennis and upset No. 1 Long Beach State to book its ticket to the Big West Tournament final.
UCSB 4, UCD 0
Indian Wells, Calif.
Apr. 25, 2014
Big West Tournament Quarterfinal
1. April Scatliffe/Luisa Candido-Ortiz (UCSB) def. Nicole Koehly/ Layla Sanders (UCD), 8-7 (4)
2. Megan Heneghan/ Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Jaimee Gilbertson/ Priscila Garcia
(UCSB), 8-7 (3)
3. Kaiulani Boyer/Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. Samantha Martino/Tiffany Pham (UCD), 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) vs. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB), DNF
2. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Layla Sanders (UCD), 6-1, 6-3
3. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) vs. Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB), DNF
4. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD), 6-0, 6-3
5. Tiffany Pham (UCD) vs. Paola Cos (UCSB), DNF
6. Priscila Garcia (UCSB) def. Kamila Kecki (UCD), 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 4, 2
UCSB season record (8-15)