Gauchos End Season with Loss Against Long Beach State
INDIAN WELLS, Calif.—Facing top seed Long Beach State (19-2) in the semifinals of the Big West Tournament for the third year in a row, No. 5 seed UC Santa Barbara (8-16) aimed towards pulling off the upset and continue its season. Santa Barbara could not top off Long Beach as the Gauchos faced a tough 4-0 loss.
The 49ers captured the doubles point to take the early 1-0 lead with victories on courts 2 and 3. In a back and forth match, sophomore, Priscila Garcia and freshman, Jaimee Gilbertson were once again tied into a close contest as the duo suffered an 8-6 loss. Senior, Kiersten Meehan and freshman, Kaiulani Boyer were edged on court 3 by the score, 8-3.
UCSB continued to fight hard but ultimately surrendered three singles victories to Long Beach. Junior, April Scatliffe surrendered a 6-1, 6-3 score on court 2 to Ebba Unden. Engaged in a tight match on court 3, Boyer endured a 6-3, 7-5 loss to Julie Gerard. Senior, Paola Cos fought till the end but unfortunately could not corral the win as the El Paso, Texas native recorded a 6-2, 6-4 loss.
"We always set the goal to win our conference so this loss to Long Beach State is disappointing," Thibodeau said. Despite the loss and end of the season, Head Coach Thibodeau offered praise and optimism for his squad.
"There were many bright spots during this hard fought match," Thibodeau stated. "We will continue to work and hope next year will be UCSB's year."
In a year of close losses, injuries, and impressive wins, the Gauchos will have an opportunity to build off from this year and hopefully capture the goal of winning next year's Big West Tournament.
LBSU 4, UCSB 0
Indian Wells, Calif.
Apr. 26, 2014
Big West Tournament Semifinals
1. Ebba Unden/Laura Eales (LBSU) vs. April Scatliffe/ Luisa Candido-Ortiz (UCSB), DNF
2. Maeva Razakasoa/ Hayley Thompson (LBSU) def. Jaimee Gilbertson/ Priscila Garcia (UCSB),
3. Karolina Rozenberg/ Holly Reid (LBSU) def. Kaiulani Boyer/ Kiersten Meehan (UCSB), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2
1. Maeva Razakasoa (LBSU) vs. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB), DNF
2. Ebba Unden (LBSU) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB), 6-1, 6-3
3. Julie Gerard (LBSU) def. Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB), 6-3, 7-5
4. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) vs. Stacy Yam (UCSB), DNF
5. Hayley Thompson (LBSU) def. Paola Cos (UCSB), 6-2, 6-4
6. Holly Reid (LBSU) vs. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB), DNF
Order of finish: 3, 2, 5
UCSB season record (8-16)