MALIBU, Calif.- A tough finish for the UC Santa Barbara Women's Tennis team resulted in a 6-1 loss to No. 23 Pepperdine University.
The Gauchos haven't beaten a Pepperdine team since 1997, and their struggles against the Malibu-centered school couldn't be overcome on Saturday afternoon.
Pepperdine roared back in singles and took every solo matchup against the Gauchos.
All of the Waves' wins were two-set sweeps over UCSB who couldn't find their footing in singles play.
The Gauchos look to bounce back on Sunday, March 10 at LMU with an 11 a.m. first serve to culminate a three-game road trip.
#23 Pepperdine University 6, UC Santa Barbara 1
1. #56 Lahey, Ashley (PEPPW) def. Volodko, E (UCSB) 6-0, 6-2
2. Lekaj, Adrijana (PEPPW) def. Lev-Ari, Amit (UCSB) 6-2, 6-4
3. Takamura, Satsuki (PEPPW) def. Lagarda, Tiffany (UCSB) 6-1, 6-4
4. Kuczer, Daria (PEPPW) def. Yamada, S (UCSB) 6-4, 7-5
5. Milovanovic, Dzina (PEPPW) def. Valero, Juliana (UCSB) 6-4, 7-6
6. Iamachkine,Anastasia (PEPPW) def. Sentenac, Lise (UCSB) 6-0, 6-1
1. Lahey, Ashley/Iamachkine,Anastasia (PEPPW) def. Goncharova, A/Valero, Juliana (UCSB) 6-2
2. Lagarda, Tiffany/Yamada, S (UCSB) def. Kuczer, Daria/Milovanovic, Dzina (PEPPW) 6-4
3. Lev-Ari, Amit/Sentenac, Lise (UCSB) def. Lekaj, Adrijana/Takamura, Satsuki (PEPPW) 6-1
UC Santa Barbara 5-4
Pepperdine University 5-3; National ranking #23
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,6,3,2,5,4)